Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp 250 g4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello there. My laptop model is 250 g4. My wifi card; "rtl8723be 802.11 bgn wi-fi adapter". however, according to my estimates, this card failed. I have erased the drivers, updated, downgrode and tried. This made me think that my wifi card was broken (I opened my laptop, when I saw that my wifi card had 2 antennas but my computer had only one antenna, I just changed the antenna location but it didn't work). I can buy a new one, but I can also get a better one. that's where the problem starts. There are many AC powered pcie wifi cards on the internet. Can I wear one of them (what I want)? Or is there a compatibility problem? If there is a compatibility problem, what is this compatibility triggered (chipset, socket etc.). If you can answer these questions not only for HP devices but universally for all laptops, you can help many people.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your notebook has a BIOS whitelist and there is only one wifi card that may work.

See this discussion...You can also get the RTL8821CE wifi card on Ali Express.  Get one with a HP Part number on it.

Solved: 250 g4 and Intel wireless AC 3160 - HP Support Community - 6941233

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your notebook has a BIOS whitelist and there is only one wifi card that may work.

See this discussion...You can also get the RTL8821CE wifi card on Ali Express.  Get one with a HP Part number on it.

Solved: 250 g4 and Intel wireless AC 3160 - HP Support Community - 6941233

HP Recommended

Ok i get it thanks. But lets imagine there is no whitelist. So what can i do. How can i choose wifi card?After a short research, I realized that the compatibility is based on the type of wifi card entry (m.2, Pcie, Pcie mini etc.). is this true? If true, how do I know my nest type. Is it understandable by looking at the length and other physical characteristics of my old wifi card?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

There is a whitelist because other forum members have tried installing different WiFi card's to no avail.

Also, any other dual band WiFi card requires two antenna wires to work right.

The RTL8821CE card works with the single antenna wire.

HP Recommended

I think I got it. Even if the input parts fit (I think my laptop's input is m.2), not every wifi card can fit. Whitelist is used to prevent this situation. But if there is no whitelist on another computer, would it be the only thing it would look for in this case (m.2, pcie etc.)? You helped me enough to solve my problem. However, if you also answer this question, you would make me very happy.

HP Recommended

Yes, that is correct.

If the PC does not have a BIOS whitelist, any WiFi card that fits the slot will work.

But you still have to have 2 antenna wires for all the other dual band WiFi cardso to work properly.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.