Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Stream Notebook PC 13 C009SA
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
Hi

Had this laptop for a few weeks now and never had trouble connecting to wifi at home. But today I am unable to connect to wifi and I did a troubleshoot and it says that the problem is - 'WiFi doesn't have a valid IP configuration'

I know the problem is my laptop and not the wifi as it is working fine on my iPad.

Can someone help please?

Thanks,
Dee
12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi there @Dee85 

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, both from other users, HP experts and other support personnel.

I understand that you are having troubles with connecting to your home network; I am happy to help.

Have you tried connecting to a different network with this notebook?

Does the wifi (available connections) show up on your notebook at all?

Have you tried resetting your wireless router?

The error you are getting sounds like the router is not passing on a local IP address to your notebook. The problem could be on either side of that.

Try working through these.

Troubleshooting wireless network and Internet (Windows 😎

Also, you can look at the power management for your wireless adapter:
Disable the Power Off option for the adapter:
1. Open Device Manager. (Win Key+R > type devmgmt.msc > OK)
2. Expand the Network adapters.
3. Right click on the Ethernet/Wireless Adapter and click Properties.
4. Click the Power Management tab.
5. Remove the check mark beside Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
6. Click OK.
7. Test.

Forget the network: (Windows 😎
1. Press Windows Key + C
2. Click Settings.
3. Click Change PC settings.
4. Click Network on the left.
5. Click Manage known networks.
6. Click the network name.
7. Click Forget.

Reset the TCP/IP settings on your PC:
1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.
2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.
3. In the window that opens type "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" without quotes, and press enter.
4. Restart your PC and test.

It may also help to reset the winsock catalogue:
3. In the window that opens type "netsh winsock reset" without quotes, and press enter.

Reinstall the network adapter drivers:
1. Download the drivers from here but do not run them yet.
2. Go to your start screen/menu and type Device Manager.
3. Expand Network adapters.
4. Right click on the wireless adapter and choose Uninstall.
5. Run the downloaded drivers from step 1.
6. Restart your PC and test.

Test an ethernet connection:
Self explanatory. Test if the issue persists on a wired connection to rule out the wireless adapter hardware so troubleshooting can be directed towards the right areas.

Test another connection:
Many people rule out their home network as an issue if another device is working on the same network. Networking is not that simple. Each device interacts differently with your router or modem and it is impossible to rule out settings in that device until the notebook has been tested on another network.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

After an hour and a half searching through all of the Windows sections on my wife's computer without success, I Googled sites and picked your site. The second recommended fix worked which was to reset winsock. On behalf of my wife, THANKS111

HP Recommended
After spending almost 2 hours trying to sort this problem, I found this forum and I reset the TCP/IP settings on your PC.

Worked perfectly- thank you!
HP Recommended

My laptop conneting to network but not to internet, after diagnosis it sayion " WIFI doesnt have valid Ip"

I tried reset tp and everything by cmd command , still not working, 

After reseting it saying it failed

HP Recommended

SOLUTION

I found this solution at: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/167719-quot-Wi-Fi-quot-doesn-t-have-a-valid-IP-confi...

Look for comment #4 by browni

"When I've came across similar issues in the past I delete the wifi adapter in device manager and reboot. That usually cures the situation."

So I tried it.  Note that it is a bit different than the last suggestion on Malyfris1's list:

Reinstall the network adapter drivers:
1. Download the drivers from here but do not run them yet.
2. Go to your start screen/menu and type Device Manager.
3. Expand Network adapters.
4. Right click on the wireless adapter and choose Uninstall.
5. Run the downloaded drivers from step 1.   
6. Restart your PC and test.

5. RESTART COMPUER. 

Stike 5. and 6.   Instead, just restart the computer.  Windows 10 (not saying Windows 8 won't) will reinstall the drivers.  You'll need to re-enter your router password again, as though the computer were brand new.  

Worked like a charm.  

One thing to watch for.  After I deleted the drivers, my user account froze.  I ALT-CNTR_DEL, then selected Log Out.  Then I did a restart.  It took at least 5 minutes to shut down.  

Also, later when I ran Internet Explorer, it took a while for the Internet to get up to speed.  Things were slow at first.

HP Recommended
Could you tell me approx how long did it take your laptop to restart after doing this?
HP Recommended
@jennifer2209 Could you tell me approx how long did it take your laptop to restart after doing this?
HP Recommended

The following portion of your steps to correct this error worked perfectly for me.  I am a bit technically challenged but you made it easy to understand. 

I just had a new modem installed for my home wireless and I believe that is what caused the issue.  My other devices had not problem but my HP did.   

Thank you SO much!

Reset the TCP/IP settings on your PC:
3. In the window that opens type "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" without quotes, and press enter.

HP Recommended

I solved mine with netsh reset, i show in a video and a blog post how to fix this wfi issue on this page here http://katwekibs.com/fix-wifi-doesnt-valid-ip-configuration-windows-10/

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.