Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy DV7-7270ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good day, I'm looking for a recommendation for a new card that will support 'N' and 5GHZ ?

HP Envy DV7-7270ca existing original wireless is an Intel Centrio Wireless-N 2230 card.

Thank you for your insight.

Todd

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @oleinfidel :

Please read this discussion. 

You can install the Intel 7260 dual band N or AC card...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/upgrade-wi-fi-adapter-s/td-p/6005187

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

serial # [Personal Information Removed] if it helps. It has since been upgraded to Win 10 with a solid state drive.

T.

HP Recommended

The problem is that your laptop is on the borderline of the "whitelist". Up until about Q4 2014 HP laptops had a BIOS whitelist which would place a hard stop on booting the machine if any non-approved wireless card is installed. We know that all 4th gen Intel Core machines with Windows 8 and newer do not have the whitelist but I am not sure the dv7-7000 series with 3rd gen Intel Core does or does not have the whitelist "problem". 

See page 28 of the Manual here:

Manual

The parts list identifies a 

Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 WLAN module 670691-001

That part number is actually a Ralink and is nothing you would want. If there is a whitelist you cannot use an Advanced-N 6230 (which is what you want to have) from another OEM supplier (say from a Lenovo or Toshiba laptop). 

If there is no whitelist you can install any wireless card of the right form factor including an 802.11ac card, which is what you really would want. 

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-Ac-Hmc/dp/B00DMCVKMU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=14908121...

Above would be the top of the line best card you could install. For $22 it might be worth the risk to try it and I have a recollection that some who own the dv7-7000 series have reported no whitelist but I cannot guarantee it. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Hi, @oleinfidel :

Please read this discussion. 

You can install the Intel 7260 dual band N or AC card...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/upgrade-wi-fi-adapter-s/td-p/6005187

HP Recommended

Thank you very very much for that Paul.

regards, Todd

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Todd.

Please post back and let us know how your wireless card upgrade went.

Feedback from forum members such as yourself, is the only way we are able to collect information like this to help others upgrade wlan cards on those 'borderline' models where the whitelist was being phased out.

I have given this information to several forum members, and I hear crickets afterward, save for that one discussion.

HP Recommended

Thank you again to Paul for a spot on recommendation. I purchased the Intel 7260 dual band AC wireless card [40 bucks on Amazon] arrived in two days, Calgary to Edmonton...

Two minutes to swap out. Downloaded the "Intel Driver Update Utility" to install latest drivers and now my Chromecast 1080 streaming is great !....no stuttering, crystal clear.

Thank you !

HP Recommended

Anytime, Todd.

Glad to have been of assistance.

And thank you for letting us know the wireless card upgrade was a success.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.