Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-bw033wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to upgrade the internal wireless card (Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11b/g/n PCIe adapter) with a dual-band card in my HP Notebook. It is currently 2.4 Ghz only and I want to install a 5 Ghz card.

-  Is there a compatible card available?

-  WIll/should the bios support it?

-  I read I may need a second antenna wire - if my laptop doesn't have one can I add one? 

Thank you for anyone that can help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @EarleMan 

The only suggestion I can offer, but I cannot confirm this card will work in your model, would be to try this model wifi adapter.  It is designed to work with only one antenna cable.

RTL8821CE 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter (MU-MIMO supported) HP Part # L17365-005.

The only place I have been able to find them is on eBay. They are not too expensive.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=L17365-005&_sop=15

That card has been on back order on the HP parts store for months now.

The absolute maximum throughput your current wifi adapter has is 72 MBPS on the 2.4 GHz wifi band.

That would be with an excellent wifi signal.

With that adapter, you should be getting around 40 - 50 MBPS download speeds.

With the adapter I suggested, the performance would be the same as you are getting now on the 2.4 GHz wifi band.

But on the 5.0 GHz band, the 8821CE has a maximum throughput of 433 MBPS with an excellent wifi signal.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@EarleMan 

The following options are for your machine (factory installed):

• Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 802.11AC 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.2 Combo Adapter (non-vPro)  part # 901229-855
  • Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + BT 4.2 Combo Adapter part # 863934-855

You can safely use them but your machine only has ONE antenna therefore you won't be able to get full benefit of a dual band card.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi, @EarleMan 

The only suggestion I can offer, but I cannot confirm this card will work in your model, would be to try this model wifi adapter.  It is designed to work with only one antenna cable.

RTL8821CE 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter (MU-MIMO supported) HP Part # L17365-005.

The only place I have been able to find them is on eBay. They are not too expensive.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=L17365-005&_sop=15

That card has been on back order on the HP parts store for months now.

The absolute maximum throughput your current wifi adapter has is 72 MBPS on the 2.4 GHz wifi band.

That would be with an excellent wifi signal.

With that adapter, you should be getting around 40 - 50 MBPS download speeds.

With the adapter I suggested, the performance would be the same as you are getting now on the 2.4 GHz wifi band.

But on the 5.0 GHz band, the 8821CE has a maximum throughput of 433 MBPS with an excellent wifi signal.

HP Recommended

Thank you - I will look at giving this one I try. I understand it's untested but it's a small amount of money to risk should it work. Thank you!

HP Recommended

Thank you! I will keep this one in my "back pocket" due to the single vs. dual antenna issue. If the other single antenna card suggested by someone else doesn't work I'll give this one a try. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I think it has a good chance of working, or I would not have recommended it.

For example:  I know it works in the HP 250 G4 business class notebook and it is not listed as a supported wifi adapter.

The 250 G4 is an older model than yours is as well.

Please post back and let us know how the wifi card upgrade went.

HP Recommended

Sorry for the delayed response. The Realtek RTL8821CE worked like a charm! I'm using it now...

I searched out the card right away on eBay and put it in my cart. It sat there a week or two before I decided yes, I needed to get it as we have habitual drops of the 2.4 Ghz signal on our home network. I got fed up and finally ordered it last week; It arrived today. I paid less than $10...

I of course had to Google how to take apart this HP laptop. This has to be one of the hardest laptops to get into of all the ones on which I've ever "operated" and I've gotten into about 20 laptops in my day. I only snapped a single internal tab; not too bad considering. I did figure out I had four (4) screws hidden inside the feet under the unit. Do NOT get into one of these without a good set of plastic auto panel tools to avoid tearing up the panels. 

CUTTING TO THE CHASE: I replaced the card and powered it up before I put it back together. At first of course I had no networking and figured I had to hard-wire to get the drivers. However I realized after a minute I had a wireless icon in the system tray and the system device manager had no devices without a driver. Not only did the network driver "self-install" and I had the 5 Ghz network appearing I also now had Bluetooth which I had not had before!!! 

THANK YOU ALL!!! 

HP Recommended

WORKED GREAT! Please see my other reply to your original post for the full details. Thank you again!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance, and thanks for letting us know how the wifi card upgrade went.

I didn't realize that you didn't have the service manual.

FWIW after the fact, here is the link to the service manual for your notebook...in case you want to upgrade to a solid state drive maybe.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05493256

HP Recommended

Downloaded and saved! Thank you again! We tend to keep our laptops/PC's for quite a long time, so this will come in quite handy. Cheers!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.