Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I'm not tech savvy by any means, I'm a graphic designer 🙂 but my laptop (Pavilion dv7) has 'lost' its wi-fi and Bluetooth abilities... was working, then suddenly has disappeared!?

The f12 (wi-fi button) light stays on orange... does nothing when pressed except a warning saying 'The wireless devices on your computer are turned off. To turn on the wireless devices, press the wireless button'... but on pressing it again another window pops up in bottom right saying it is disabled?

Device manager shows '!' next to network adapters, but no Bluetooth shows in the list at all.

I am online via my iPhone, using as a hotspot... it is picking up my NBN connection fine, as is my iPad and my wife's smart devices, so it isn't a connection issue with the router.

Any help would be most appreciated.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello Dev77,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More

I understand that the wireless adapter is reported missing from the Device Manager on your notebook, and I would be happy to help you in this matter!

For more assistance, I will need to know:

1. The Product and Model Number of your notebook computer.
  2. The version of Windows you have installed on your computer.
  3. If your computer has completed all of its important Windows Updates.
  4. If you have updated your HP drivers using the HP Support Assistant.
  5. If this is an on-going, or recent issue.

Please re-post with the necessary information, this way I will be able to research this further for you. I look forward to your reply!

Cheers! 

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
Product : HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC
MODEL NUMBER: XV780PA#ABG
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Service Pack 1
Windows updates are all up to date.
Have tried to update drivers but the computer says there are no network adapters to update drivers.
Network adapter, wi-Fi and bluetooth have totally disappeared.
HP Recommended

Hello Dev77,

Thank you for the quick reply!

Since your network adapter is not preset on your notebook, I recommend following this document on Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 😎. This should help determine if the wireless adapter is defective or not.  

If you are still not able to connect to your network, and the hardware test passes, you will need to remove and re-install the WiFi adapter drivers on your notebook. To do this, I recommend removing the drivers in Programs and Features and the Device Manager. Once the old software is removed, please restart your computer. The drivers for your wireless network adapter can be downloaded an installed by following this document on Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers for HP Computers.  

Next, if nothing has worked we are going to try using Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 😎 to restore your computer back to a point in time before this issue arose. This will not affect any personal files you have on your computer, but it will affect any settings you have changed or applications you have installed since the time you go back to. These will have to be re-done once we are finished.

Lastly, If we still have the issue we are at the point where we need to use the HP Support document: Backing Up Your Files (Windows 😎 to back up your personal files. Once we have done this successfully I would like you to review and follow the steps set out in the HP Support document: Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 😎, which will walk you through restoring your computer back to factory.

***NOTE: This will destroy everything on your computer so make sure you have backed up everything you wish to keep.

As this will completely replace ALL your software on your computer this should resolve your issue. 

reference: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Notebook-PC-Questions/Laptop-disconnests-from-internet-unable-to-...

Please re-post with the results of your troubleshooting, and I look forward to your reply!

Regards :smileyhappy: 

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply...  I will attempt your solutions, however, the links you have given for documentation are for Windows 8... I am running Windows 7.

I have already tried a System Restore which didn't help. I will try the testing for hardware failures and go from there.

Could you point me to releveant infor for Windows 7 in terms of backing up and system recover in case I have to get to that point.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hello Dev77,

I apologise for the confusion!

The necessary documents for testing the hardware, as well as performing a backup and recovery can be found below:

1. Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 7)
  2. Backing Up Your Files (Windows 7)
  3. Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 7)

Please re-post with the results of your troubleshooting, and I look forward to your reply!

Regards Smiley Happy

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
Hi,
I tried the diagnostics of hardware... And as before the troubleshooting said 'windows could not find a driver for your network adapter' even though I then download the relevant drivers it doesn't fix the no wifi and bluetooth issues.
Decided to do a system restore to factory setting... Have done this and it hasn't helped at all except for giving me a 'fresh ' laptop. Networking, wifi and bluetooth still not working. Any suggestions? Seems like it is a hardware issue? But as I said I'm not a tech person.
HP Recommended

Hello again Dev77,

When you said you restored your notebook back to  factory settings, did your return your system back to a previous restore point or did you recover your Operating System all together? 

If you restored your notebook back to a previous point in time, I recommend performing a backup and recovery of your Operating System. Do to this, please follow this document on Backing Up Your Files (Windows 😎 (Windows 7), as well as Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 😎 (Windows 7). This should help restore your system back to factory defaults.

If you have already performed a System Recovery and the WiFi adapter is still not recognized, please call our technical support at 1-800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl

I hope this helps!

Regards  

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I have recovered the Operating System altogether.

I thought these forums were the same as calling technical support!?

By the way, you keep giving me links to Windows 8... as I've said I'm running Windows 7.

Guess I'll have to take my laptop to someone locally to try to fix it, as HP 'experts' have no idea.

HP Recommended
I'm having an issues very much like Dev77's except that I just noticed that my WiFi and Bluetooth had vanished after booting. I formatted the system thinking it was due to virus attack but nothing happened. I also downloaded up-to-date drivers but still had no luck with the situation. Why y'all make ur systems to be so substandard!? This laptop arrived with some charging problems-charges up to 99% then takes almost forever to reach 100, the charging light indicator also doesn't go off wen power is interrupted except wen it's full, but I have endured these in good faith until this problem arose. I noticed y'all have almost no customer service for ur customers in Africa, I was trying to choose my country and Nigeria was conspicuously missing from the list... how did y'all manage to alienate us? we don't matter? I wonder wat kinda company y'all running really
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.