Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 13-w023dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a an HP Spectre x360 that comes with built in Bluetooth functionality like most laptops. At some point yesterday, I lost all Bluetooth functionality, which is inconvenient as I have only 1 standard USB port and now have to use it solely for a mouse. The symptoms are as follows:

- The "Bluetooth and Other Devices" window in Settings cannot detect or even begin a search for Bluetooth devices.

- The Bluetooth Troubleshooter returns that the device does not have Bluetooth capability, which is obviously not the case.

- In Device Manager, I need to select View -> Show Hidden Devices to even see the Bluetooth Drivers and the Bluetooth Network Adapters. They are greyed out and display "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)" in the status window.

- In Device Manager, Under USB controllers, there is an "Unknown USB Device (Device Desriptor Request Failed)."

- The Network Adapter troubleshooter returns nothing, and the Hardware Troubleshooter finds the Unknown USB Error.

The issue persists after reinstalling the OS. All Windows and HP Updates (Both Recommended and Critical) (Including BIOS) have been installed. I have reinstalled all pertinent Drivers in the Device Manager. In addition, I have set all local services regarding Bluetooth and USB to start automatically on startup and rebooted, to no avail.

The Spectre's Blutooth module is contained on the motherboard. My best guess if that it is connected to the CPU via a peripheral USB connection, and a recent firmware update incorrectly overwrote the communication protocols between the two chips. Windows therefore detects the Blutooth chip as an unknown USB device. 

Does anyone have any ideas on what else to do?

44 REPLIES 44
HP Recommended

I'm having exactly the same problem right now. I spent past 5 hours going through all guides and troubleshooting tips to fix it, even did clean OS install, and nothing worked. At this point, I can't even see Bluetooth in Device Manager. Not being the only one experiencing this problem gives me hope it might be something HP-recent-update related and will be fixed soon!

HP Recommended

Hello,

I'm having exactly the same problem since Monday Feb 12 2018.

- Bluetooth is not working anymore and has completely disappeared.

- Bluetooth is in hidden devices in the device manager.

- I see in the Windows Update that there was a new install of Intel Bluetooth driver on Feb 10 2018, version 20.20.0.5

- I also see that an "Intel - net" driver failed to install on Feb 9 2018, version 20.20.2.2, while version 20.20.2.3 of the same driver was installed on Jan 12 2018.

- Under the USB controllers in Device Management, I find an "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request failed).

I hope there will be a solution soon.

HP Recommended

I'm having the exact same thing happen as mentioned above, was working fine this morning, and I'm fairly certain Windows did an update that overwrote something, because I walked away from my laptop with bluetooth working, and minutes later, no dice. I've tried updating Intel Proset wireless drivers, Bluetooth from Intel direct, but nothing seems to help. This is tough for me on this on the Spectre as I rely on Bluetooth for about everything connected since it only has USB C connections. 

HP Recommended

Hi, I am having this problem aswell.   I have re-built twice, and it did start working again, but failed after a re-boot.

I have the same Unknow USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) under USB devices, but the bluetooth one has gone unless i pick show hidden devices.

Pleased others seem to be having the same problem.  I thought I had an intermittant hardware problem, but does sond like it is probably software.  

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. The solution is to uninstall Windows Update kb4058258. That gave me my bluetooth capability back on my Spectre x360

Addendum: Not sure if it's that particular update, but it does seem like it's Update related. See my next post.

EDIT: Now that I think about it. I didn't actually just uninstall kb4058258, I must have restored to a previous Windows restore point, that probably removed the recently downloaded Bluetooth driver. See my later posts for clarification.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I don't see that update on my list. After fresh OS installation this is all I have:

pic2.png

My Bluetooth is still not working even though I don't have the mentioned update installed on my OS 😞

*update: I tried to manually check for updates since kb4058258 wasn't downloaded automatically and it fails to install so the problem must be somewhere else. At least for me.

HP Recommended

Okay, I'm not sure if it's that particular update. It installed again cuz I didn't stop it in time (not exactly sure how to stop Windows from downloading a particular update). Had to uninstall it again and this time, bluetooth remained broken. I had to do a system restore to a point a few days ago. This time it restored my bluetooth. So it does seem like it's Windows Update related, I'm just not sure how it's breaking bluetooth.

HP Recommended

And yet another to add...

I was just about to do a clean install, but based on the other comments, I'm not going to waste my time.

Go figure, in almost a year and a half, I've never used bluetooth. I start using it last week and now it's broken.

HP Recommended

Just had another poster with the same problem. He did a manual check for updates and there was another Intel Bluetooth driver that fixed his.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.