Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 13-4101no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hello,

I have a brand new HP Spectre x360, and am very happy with it. However, the battery is getting drained when the laptop is shut-off (not in sleep mode, but really shut-off, by using the windows start button). From 100% to 90% in one week time, and even down to 0% if left for some weeks.

I'm wondering if this is due to a problem with the battery (or some other manufacturing issue), or if it´s caused by some kind of setting that causing the computer to not completely shut down for example. Could the farst start-up have anything to do with it? Is there any setting I should change? 

Would really appreciate your help as this doesn't seem normal for a completely new computer...

Thanks!

492 REPLIES 492
HP Recommended

Hi there @lomoens

You  have come to the right place to ask questions, find solutions and get help from HP and the community! I read your post on the HP Support Forums. I wanted to reach out to you and help! I understand that your battery keeps draining on your HP Spectre x360 - 13-4101no. 

I did some research and found documentation for you based on the battery depleting. First, before I provide you with steps to help resolve the battery issue, I would like to Welcome you to Support Forums and thank you for joining in! 

To resolve the issue you are experiencing with your battery:

Please remove the notebook battery, plug the AC power cable back into the notebook, then turn it on.

Does it power the Notebook?

Please make sure that the AC adapter cable is not plugged into a power strip, surge protector, or secondary power source. It should be directly into a wall outlet. 

Here are some documents to use for Troubleshooting Steps: 

Battery Does Not Power Notebook or Hold a ChargeIf your notebook computer battery does not power the notebook or will not hold a charge, troubleshoot the battery to see if it needs to be replaced.

Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 😎.To know the condition of your battery, use the steps in this article to test your battery and calibrate it if necessary.

Improving Battery Performance (Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista)

Here is a link to the HP Support Assistant if you need it. Just download and run the application and it will help with the software and drivers on your system that needs updating.

Did this reply resolve your issue or answer your question? If yes, then please share the good news! Let others know this reply was helpful by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation by clicking the Thumbs Up.

If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please just re-post with the results of the troubleshooting.

Thank you!

Have a great day! 🙂

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks for your answer!

However, I can't / prefer not to remove the battery; the spectre x360 can't be opended just like that but one needs a tiny screwdriver with star bit, which I don't own. Also, I'm a bit afraid of opening up and messing with it.

But I ran the battery check and it passed... Also, I don't think there's anything wrong with the AC adaptor, as the notebook is charging normally when plugged in.

So now I tried to disable the charging function of the USB ports in sleeping/shut off mode, as I read in this topic. We 'll see if this helps. Will update in a week or so!

HP Recommended

Hey @lomoens

Great! Please do keep me posted! 

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

Hello,

it didn't seem to help to switch off the usb charging function; the battery is still drained ~10% in 1 week time (when it's completely shut-down, and unplugged). Is this normal?

HP Recommended

Hi there!

Thank you for getting back to me here on the HP Support Community! 

Did you try to calibrate the battery?

Did you update all of your drivers?

Have you tried to use a different power plan? 

Is it shut down completely while draining?

Is it in sleep mode when it is draining? 

Here is another document for you called Managing Power Options. You will notice from reading this document that Sleep, Hibernate and Away mode are all reduced power modesSleep Mode saves the current work session in memory and puts the computer in a low-power state

Did you do the extensive test? If not, please try the extensive test on the battery. 

You will see that the Improving Battery Performance document says: 

"The maximum charge capacity of every battery decreases over time and with use. The rate at which this capacity decreases can vary depending on product configuration, product model, operating system, type of software used, power management settings, and other factors.

The power capacity of notebook batteries decreases over time. The way a battery is used also affects battery capacity.
  • Battery cells suffer gradual, irreversible capacity loss with each discharge-charge cycle. Such aging occurs more rapidly as temperature and discharge loads increase.
  • The energy of a battery decreases even when the battery is left in an unpowered computer.
  • During prolonged storage or non-use, the battery charge can decrease below its recommended low-voltage level.
  • Leaving the battery depleted for an extended period can cause the battery to go into a low-voltage condition and become unusable. Leaving the battery at a high level of charge in a high-temperature environment for extended periods also accelerates the loss of capacity.
  • Using software for graphics processing or high-definition video accelerates the loss of capacity. For example, playing 3D games lowers full charge capacity faster than using word processing applications."

Another option may be to use the Windows Power Troubleshooter. The Windows Power troubleshooter can automatically adjust the computer power timeout settings.

Search for  troubleshooting.
Open  Troubleshooting Control panel.
In the  Troubleshoot computer problems window.
Under  System and Security.
Click  Improve power usage.
When the detection process is complete, a recommended resolution displays.
select Apply this fix. 

Please let me know if this helps resolve the issue by marking this post as  "Accept as Solution" . If you require further assistance let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help. If you wish to say "thanks" for my effort to help, click the " thumbs up " to give me a Kudos.

Thanks! 🙂

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

improving power usage / changing power plans etc wouldn't really help as those apply to when the computer is ON. Whereas mine is draining while it's OFF (yes, really off,not in sleep mode). I didn't need to calibrate the battery as the test showed it was ok...

I can understand that the battery condition deteriorates after a while, but this one is brand new! (and I 've basically not used it at all).

I will contact swedsih customer support and see if they can help.

HP Recommended

Hi @lomoens

You can try to disable Fast Startup. Here is a document for you called Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10. The reason I gave you the Managing Power Options document is because there is a section in it called Using the Power troubleshooter to fix problems. Since power is what you are losing whether the Notebook is on or off, the power troubleshooter could help diagnose and fix the problem. 

If your computer is turned completely off and your battery is still draining then there has to be a hardware issue somewhere as no software is running. 

The reason I gave you the Improving Battery Performance document was because it has sections with information that may have been helpful to you. For example, the Adjusting notebook battery power plans section says "A power plan is a collection of hardware and system settings that manages how your computer uses power. Power plans can help you save energy, maximize system performance, or achieve a balance between the two".

Did you do the extensive hardware testing?

To contact us please use the following link to create yourself a case number:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Please keep me posted with the results of your phone call. 

Thanks! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

talked to the swedish customer support on the phone, and they said this was "normal" and has to do with windows 10. And that there was nothing one could do...

Not really satisfied with this answer I have to say (just bought a laptop that is supposed to have a great battery life but even when not using it, it just keeps on draining... And apparently this is supposed to be normal?!)

Guess I just have to accept it... But I'm not happy

HP Recommended

I was having the same problem and sought solution on this forums. This forum is moderated by bunch of entry level tech bots. They paste the same info to every question. They are far from being helpful. As you have seen, they offer to change your power plan for a turned off battery discharge.

I contacted local HP service and they found the battery defective. Even after replacing the battery, I'm still having a discharge at the same rate. This has to do with a glitch on the motherboard. I have an Envy 13t and obviously HP is still unable to come up with a fully working computer system. After several months with HP, I understand why people pay more $$$ for Apple. At least they don't have to worry about after-sale disappointments.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.