Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy TouchSmart m7-j120dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Envy 17's  left hinge has come adrift and is causing the case to separate.

There are no loose plastic pieces in the case or fan issues yet.

We are leaving the top open; it is no longer a portable laptop.

Through searching I have learned this is a common and long time issue starting with prior laptops models.

This premuim and expensive latop is just over 2 years old and has been kindly treated; never dropped.

I have been a long time HP customer.

Today I spent over 30 minutes & 2 phone calls with HP Techical and Customer service ultimately being 'dropped' both times during transfers. I'm hoping this forum's moderators will do better.

Yes, the laptop is no longer under warranty but this is a long term well known design weakness.

I expect to hear from HP with a  no-cost to me repair solution.

Per HP's motto they are "Here to keep you happy; And your PC, too"

I will provide updates to this issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The laptop's hinge \ case is fixed and back home with only kudos to the HP repair team; no issues at all.
Next day shipments to & from.

Hopefully HP has a design fix so this doesn't happen again to anyone. Let the repair team have some time off.

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32
HP Recommended

@JR_76

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Here's a favorable update.

The next day I received and answered an email asking for info about both the laptop and how to contact me.

The next work day I received a phone call from a PC support coordinator who offered a 1 time courtiesy repair.

She said she would be my single point of contact through the repair process.

A return shipment box would be sent and the repaired laptop should get returned within 7 - 10 days.

I accepted.

The box just arrived and will be at FedEx tomorrow.

Great support so far from HP. 

HP Recommended

The laptop's hinge \ case is fixed and back home with only kudos to the HP repair team; no issues at all.
Next day shipments to & from.

Hopefully HP has a design fix so this doesn't happen again to anyone. Let the repair team have some time off.

HP Recommended

Sent my Envy 17 to fix broken hinge, seperation and was told it would cost $380.00 so sent it in and in less than 24 hours of sending it I got a call that it would cost $980.00 to fix. My computer is 2 years old. I have 3 other laptops in the family and a printer. ALL HP. waiting for another 1 to break. I didn't mind paying some money to fix as promised. This is the beginning of my campaign to get the word out that HP doesn't back their product. Absolute **bleep** and  I will never purchase an HP product again. Broken hinge caused the damage not me.

HP Recommended

I wish this happened to me. I trusted them to fix it and they stabbed me in the back. Said it cost too much to repair and offered no solution to the problem other than they can return to me. HP is a joke and not deserving of anymore of my business!!!!

HP Recommended

@jbruin4

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I Work for HP
HP Recommended

I talked to Orlando and George, absolutely useless individuals. When I set up the service I was told it would be fixed and anything else that came up was covered. Today I have to pay for your crappy design and bear the cost if I want it fixed. 

I didn't mind paying something... Don't appreciate getting raped after spending !000 bucks 2 years ago.

HP Recommended

How did you manage to get your issue resolved without getting ripped off! HP is a joke from my perspective

HP Recommended

They'r motto didn't aplly to me or my laptop. I hope someone makes it right so I can say I love HP instead of I hate HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.