Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

i am getting please install an operating system to your hard disk. 

HP Recommended
what is an operating syatem
HP Recommended
I don't think is is because this is like the 20th person I've seen with the same problem as me.
HP Recommended

I did nothing to make this happen myself, my computer was running fine one moment and the next moment it display's this on the screen. please, please help me.

Boot Device Not Found

Please install an operating system on your hard disk.

Hard Disk - (3FO)

F2 System Diagnostics

For more information, please viit: www.hp.com\go\techcenter\startup

I clicked on F2 to find this:

System Diagnostics

F1 System Information
F2 Start-up Test
F3 Run-In Test
F4 Hard Disk Test

F11 Error Log

ESC Exit

I ran both the Start-up and Run-In tests to find it say (both times):

100% of the system memory tested OK

4,163,194,880 bytes of system memory tested OK

Memory test pass

Hard Disk Not Exist

I then ran the Hard Disk Test, for it to tell me straight away:

Hard Disk Not Exist

The Error Log says on the left, the Result is 03F0 and on the other side, the times I've been onto that page.

I have been onto the Startup Menu by clicking ESC as soon as I turn it on and see this:

Startup Menu

F1 System Information
F2 System Diagnostics
F9 Boot Device Options
F10 BIOS Setup
F11 System Recovery

ENTER - Continue Startup

I have been onto the Boot Device Options and I am given one choice of:

Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive

When I click it, it says:

No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

I don't have a boot disk so I pressed ESC only to find it says it again underneath so I had to turn the laptop off and start again.

When I click F10 for the BIOS Setup, it comes up with a whole page of information and more page choices at the top. I looked on the HP website it said to go to on the first page and it told me to run the Primary Hard Disk Self Test under Diagnostics. I did and straight away, it came up with a blue box in the centre saying:

Hard Disk Not Exist

I then did the Memory test that was under the Primary Hard Disk Self Test on the Diagnostics page, for it to say:

Memory test pass

in the same blue box as before, so my memory seems to be fine (hoping that that means all my documents and pictures are still there and not just that it still has memory on it).

so all in all, I have tried every opiton on the screen, reseated my hard drive several times, tried a new hard drive, and tried to install a new OS. none of this works. im hoping there might be somthing im overlooking. i see that everyone keeps saying reseat the hard drive. THAT IS NOT THE ISSUE as i have tried MULTIPLE times. I dont have the cash to send this in to get it fixed so im hoping somone has had and fixed this problem theirselves. if thats the case please list any helpful options. (and there is no way to get past that screen to any sort of safe mode)

HP Recommended

Hi there, 

Been having the same problem myself, it self fixes after a Factory Restore (sometimes it won't let me load that, but occasionally it does).

I Installed a new copy of Windows 7 and it has fixed again but not sure if this is temporary or not. Seems to be working fine for now, only one restart, usually takes two to kick it off, or it happens when I'm using it and everything freezes. I'll keep posted if this has fixed it!

Did you ever fix this? If so how, please give suggestions so I can try to fix mine Incase it breaks again. 

Thanks!

HP Recommended
This might be too late to help anyone that's posted here previously but I started getting this error message the day after I installed Windows 8 0n my HP Touchsmart Tx2z 1000 CTO (I never encountered this in Windows 7). The first time it happened I thought my hard drive was toast and I blamed Windows 8. I pulled the battery off and left the computer alone for a day and just for the hell of it tried to power on, and it worked! Since then I have gone through this 4 more times and it's getting routine sort of like a BSOD. Eventually I found this http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01442956 which explains the problem, which leads to this http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443371 which helps to trouble shoot and fix the problem. IMO HP needs to do a bios update to really fix this problem but I have a feeling they won't perhaps because they can't. See http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ad/windows-8/about-upgrading.html
HP Recommended

One common problem with what seems to be all HP laptops is they use a formulation of lead-free solder that is very susceptible to cracking and becoming brittle – especially with temperature changes.  I have seen this more on HP than any other laptop, and it seems especially bad on their consumer-grade products (laptops and desktops)…  Unfortunately they’re also about the most annoying, difficult-to-work-on laptops as well.  Before you buy a laptop look up solder issues on that model.  You'll find HP at the top of the list with solder issues.  Thanks HP.

Gently apply pressure on the laptop at different points, or gently put it in a bind…  This will flex the board a bit.  If you can get the problem to go away when doing this, then it is likely that you have one or more bad solder joint(s) on the motherboard.  For example, with this laptop I have found that I can get it to see the hard drive by gently pulling up on the sides while pushing down on the middle about where the touchpad is.

If this works, then you can try to take the motherboard out and reflow.  However, I recommend if you do this to look over the board with a magnifying glass and maybe add a little bit of leaded solder wherever you see cracks, then reflow.  Unfortunately you can’t put leaded solder where there is a BGA chip without special equipment.  The lead will greatly improve the solders durability.

HP Recommended

Had same issue and was able to get it to boot by removing the battery and running solely on AC power. Don't ask me why this worked I have no clue. Got the idea from a previous post. 

Backing up my files now. Will post later whether or not I'm able to reboot successfully with the battery back in. 

HP Recommended
I have a hp envy m6 and it says please install an operating system on you hard disk
HP Recommended
Men I hate windows 8
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.