Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've had a dislay problem where a vertical line will suddenly show up on my screen and also that the whole screen has a "shake like" view.  This is not a software driver issue as everything is up to date and it appears to be 100% hardware related.  Sometimes you can "tap" the window and it comes back from the vertical screen to just a "shake like" view.

Help!

47 REPLIES 47
HP Recommended

Hi @mrinker,

Welcome to the HP Forums!Smiley Happy

It is a superb  place to find answers and information!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide.

Learn How to Post and More

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

I grasp that your display has vertical lines showing  up and the screen has a shaken quality to it.

Here is a link to  HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting a Notebook LCD Panel Issue (Windows 8/8.1, 7) that  will guide you though some steps to try and determine the issue and overcome it.

To say thanks for responding please click the thumbs up icon below.

If this help overcome your difficulty, please choose solution provided to help others to find it.

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

WOW I have been looking through the forums and am amazed how many display issues there are with the x360...

Here is mine...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4JtBiWx2t9gb185ZDZHcTVFbWc/view

The kicker is I have been in contact with HP support now for 3 months and they say there is NOTHING wrong with the machine!!! AMAZING!!!

HP Recommended

I have the same issue. About to open a ticket with HP but dreading the customer service 'experience'. Last time I called, they put an exceptional amount of effort in dodging responsibility...

See attached my observation. This appears to become more frequent now.

Vertical lines and freeze

HP Recommended

The trouble shooting does not solve the problems and vertical lines remain.

I have the same issues and HP does not seem to be able to fix the problem.

Did any one have a good solution to fix this? other than buying a new laptop.

HP Recommended

Hello @Fred_73,

Welcome back to the HP Support Forums!

I read your post about the display issue,and wanted to assist you!  I understand that you are having trouble with vertical lines.

To start, can you provide me with the Product Number and Operating System of the notebook?  You can use the links below to help you with that information:
HP Customer Support - Products
Which Windows operating system am I running?

In the meantime, have you tried connecting an external monitor to the notebook, to test the image?  Looking forward to your reply.

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Serial Nbr: [Personal Information Removed]

product Nbr: L0Y70EA#ABH

I am running windows 10 Home 64 bit.

When I am connecting to external screen the display of the laptop remains havingstripes and the 2nd display is action normal.

HP Recommended

Hello @Fred_73,

Thank you for the information!

Since the image on the external display is normal, the issue may be software related.  It is also possible that the display assembly is defective, or not connected properly.  First, try updating the BIOS, Chipset, and Graphic Drivers.  You can find drivers for your product here: HP Spectre x360 - 13-4040nd (ENERGY STAR)

Please post back with the results.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

Dear HP,

I have updated the drivers, bios as you inidacted however it did not resolve the issue.

regards,

Fred

HP Recommended

Hello @Fred_73,

Thank you for the quick reply!

Did you also update the Graphics, and Chipset drivers?  If you are still having trouble after that, the issue may be related to the display assembly.  If you are comfortable with the process, then you can check the display assembly, to see if it is connected properly.  You can use the guide here to help:

HP Spectre x360 Convertible PC (model numbers used: 13t-4200 through 4299) - Maintenance and Service... (Chapter 5, Page 36-37).

I hope this helps.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.