Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hi,
I have an HP pavillion dv6-6156ea that is just over a month old.  It runs Windows 7 Home Premium.
Today tried to use webcam and microphone for first time, for a Skype call, but neither of them appear to be working.
The webcam is not shown in Device Manager, but the microphone is.
When I open Cyberlink Youcam, it does not recognise that there is an internal webcam.
What do I need to do to activate the microphone and cam?

I followed the link below and followed the instructions.  But the webcam isn't showing in device manager.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02452221

Since it's not finding the device, I don't know how to update the drivers.

I don't know how to troubleshoot the microphone issue.  I don't know if these things are likely to be related.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Feel a bit stupid replying to myself, but nobody else has replied and I thought it best to share what I have discovered.

The webcam was faulty, straight out of the box.

And the microphone is connected to that functionality, but uses a different driver - so if your microphone works it might be a sign that your issue is with cam driver(s).

I bought from PC world about a month ago, so took it back there despite it being very busy.  This was the second faulty webcam in an HP they'd had returned today - the earlier was a dv7.  There was no issue with getting it replaced - they took a look at it, considered installing drivers off a disc but when it wasn't shown in device manager and the mic not working either, they knew right away.

Really does show very poor quality control from Hewlett Packard.  It is a shame as in the first few weeks I've been really pleased with this model, but realistically now I know this is what their QC is like, when my business needs it's next piece I'll be going with something other than HP.

View solution in original post

42 REPLIES 42
HP Recommended

Feel a bit stupid replying to myself, but nobody else has replied and I thought it best to share what I have discovered.

The webcam was faulty, straight out of the box.

And the microphone is connected to that functionality, but uses a different driver - so if your microphone works it might be a sign that your issue is with cam driver(s).

I bought from PC world about a month ago, so took it back there despite it being very busy.  This was the second faulty webcam in an HP they'd had returned today - the earlier was a dv7.  There was no issue with getting it replaced - they took a look at it, considered installing drivers off a disc but when it wasn't shown in device manager and the mic not working either, they knew right away.

Really does show very poor quality control from Hewlett Packard.  It is a shame as in the first few weeks I've been really pleased with this model, but realistically now I know this is what their QC is like, when my business needs it's next piece I'll be going with something other than HP.

HP Recommended

I have had almost the exact same issue that I am now trying to resolve. However, in my case the intregated devices (web cam and microphone) worked for 3 weeks on a brand new out of the box lap top dv6-6c50ca, and then suddenly stopped working.  I am being told now by HP that I either have to send it in for repairs for 7 to 10 days, or to go have it replaced at the place where I bought it. I cannot believe that this device was not better tested prior to shipping it out after manufacturing ... to have it fail so quickly. I have little confidence that any sort of repait will last. Unfortunately for me I have spent quite a bit of time installing software and setting up this HP for use in my work, that will now have to be repeated with another brand new computer as I cannot afford to be w/o my computer for 10 days as I use it for my work. The place where I originally bought the computer have agreed to try to find me some sort of replacement , unofficially, since it is past the 2 week timeframe.

The question I have is how many of these model of HP are weak in the area of the web cam which is in the PC lid. It seems to me to be related to the fact that the device is in the lid of the PC, and perhaps how it is connected to the motherboard (cable via the hinge?). Does anyone know? Has anyone else seen this same issue with this model? Is this improved in the next edition?

HP Recommended

@ike2112 wrote:
Hi,
I have an HP pavillion dv6-6156ea that is just over a month old.  It runs Windows 7 Home Premium.
Today tried to use webcam and microphone for first time, for a Skype call, but neither of them appear to be working.
The webcam is not shown in Device Manager, but the microphone is.
When I open Cyberlink Youcam, it does not recognise that there is an internal webcam.
What do I need to do to activate the microphone and cam?

I followed the link below and followed the instructions.  But the webcam isn't showing in device manager.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02452221

Since it's not finding the device, I don't know how to update the drivers.

I don't know how to troubleshoot the microphone issue.  I don't know if these things are likely to be related.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi .

im also have the same problem with the webcam and the mic and i send my laptop to the store and they send it to hp in my country 2 times in the fires time the next day the same problem comeback and the 2nd time after 15 day also the the same problem comeback i don't know why hp "the mother" don't do anything about this issue its a shame that famous company like this have this problems

HP Recommended

i have a issue with my laptop(hp dv6) screen. my mic and webcam are disabled when i move the screen. sometimes it works fine. it's a big help if anyone can help me to solve this matter.

HP Recommended

I have been having similar problems with my dv6 nootebook, webcam stopped working after 8months of purchase and then microphone later. No upgrading of device or restoring to factory setting will help, i did all that.

Its simple open the plastic bevel of your computer close to the webcam lens you will see a white connector that connectos the mic and webcam, push it up gently to fit in well and thats it.  

HP Recommended

@presh007 - you saved my life 🙂

thank you very very much for your tip!

this f!@#$ing white connector was just a little bit out of the socket

I just pushed it gently and tadam... webcam and mic are back!!!

THANKS!

HP Recommended

Your welcome.

HP Recommended
Do you have a tutorial on how to open the bevel?
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.