Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion dv7 laptop which came loaded with Windows 7, I upgraded it to Windows 8 but now the Touch Pad scrolling is not working.

I have tried;

• updating the driver
  • reinstalled original driver
  • troubleshoot compatibility on the original
  • tried a battery remove / hold power button option

These have not fixed my scroll at all. No other gestures are working either... The Synaptics pointing devide driver is installed at this time.

The only thing I CAN DO is point-and-click on by touchpad.

Appreciate the help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

It's possible that the setting you require have not been enabled by default, so it's worth checking the following.

Open windows Control Panel, open Mouse, select the 'ClickPad Setting' tab and then click the ClickPad Setting button.  In the following window, enter a tick in the box next to 'Scrolling' and then click on the actual word 'Scrolling' and you'll see a cog appear to the right.  Click the cog to open another page of settings and enter a tick in the box against 'Vertical Scrolling'.  Click the Close button and then click Apply and Ok in the previous window.

You may well find that other 'gesture options' can also be enabled in the same way.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

39 REPLIES 39
HP Recommended

Hi,

It's possible that the setting you require have not been enabled by default, so it's worth checking the following.

Open windows Control Panel, open Mouse, select the 'ClickPad Setting' tab and then click the ClickPad Setting button.  In the following window, enter a tick in the box next to 'Scrolling' and then click on the actual word 'Scrolling' and you'll see a cog appear to the right.  Click the cog to open another page of settings and enter a tick in the box against 'Vertical Scrolling'.  Click the Close button and then click Apply and Ok in the previous window.

You may well find that other 'gesture options' can also be enabled in the same way.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
Thank you very much David... it works now! And now that I think of it, makes sense.

Ha ha, I bet 9/10 thats the case.

Thanks again!!!
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome and good to hear it's working Ok :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I have HP Probook 4530s. I installed a fresh copy of Windows 8 (not upgraded). My touchpad scroll is not working. It used to work perfect fine (without any drivers installation) in Windows 7. I tried to follow the aforementioned instructions but the mouse settings in my computer does not have a 'Clickpad Settings' button. 

[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/28jbpd.png[/IMG]

HP Recommended

JunaidSohail,

You’re almost there from the screen shot that you loaded.

• When you’re on the mouse properties box click the device settings tab.
  • In the box under device double click the synaptic touch pad. A new box will open.
  • Click the plus next to scrolling.
  • Now click the words "One finger scrolling"

On the right you should be able to check enable vertical scrolling.

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Let me know how everything goes.

Have a good day.

HP Recommended
anthony82,

Thanks a ton! It was very helpful.

Kudos! given. 🙂

Regards!
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion dv4 laptop which came loaded with Windows vista, I upgraded it to Windows 8 but now the Touch Pad scrolling is not working.

I have tried;

• updating the driver
  • did try to do change any setting, but no option.

This has not fixed my scroll at all. No other gestures are working either... The Synaptics pointing device driver is installed at this time.

The only thing I CAN DO is point-and-click on by touchpad

HP Recommended

Hello rdx,

HP is not going to support hardware for Windows 8 on any system purchased before Oct 1st 2011.  Most Windows 7 drivers will work in Windows 8.  If your notebook came with Vista, you can probably update to Windows 7, but you will have issues going to Windows 8.

Check out this page to see if your computer has been tested by HP with Windows 8.

You can run the Upgrade assistant software, which will scan your PC and generate a report on what is currently installed on your PC is compatible with Windows 8.

I hope this helps.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Hey I followed all your steps until this part where you said "Click the plus next to scrolling."

Here's what happened after I double clicked on "Standard Pointing Device"
http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww166/oh_em_gee_dude/TouchPadError.png

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.