Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Color Laserjet Pro M254nw
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am based in Portugal so the default paper size should be A4 but when I set the printer up it defaulted to letter (as in USA). I know I can change on the printer preferences but in the general tab on printer properties, it shows  paper available as letter so whenever I try to print A4 I get a paper mismatch error message and I have to click OK on the printer to use the A4 paper installed. 

The paper guides in the paper tray show that A4 paper is loaded but I need to change the default in properties to A4 or at least add A4 to the paper available. 

It is clearly a software problem but I cannot find any solution online

David  

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

On your PC, go to control panel>devices and printers and then right click on the icon for your printer and select "printer properties"

On the window that opens, click on advance and then printing defaults

Repairatrooper_0-1604160848793.png

Then click on Printing shortcuts and change the paper size to A4

Repairatrooper_1-1604160924512.png

If you do not see all the paper size options then it is possible that your driver install is corrupt.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks, that is what I do and I have saved Factory Defaults as A4 and tray 2, but the system will only save one change so as soon as I change any other paper type (general everyday printing, labels, photo, etc) the previous "saved" Factory Default setting returns to Letter and printer auto select. The problem is that even though I change to A4 and I have A4 paper in the printer tray, the printer thinks I am going to use letter and I have to click OK on the printer to print. I keep getting this Paper size mismatch message because only letter is shown in the general tab :

DRF_PT_1-1604166238362.png

I need to change the default below to replace "Letter" with "A4":

DRF_PT_0-1604165970527.png

HP Recommended

Is the paper size on the printer itself set properly to A4, I believe that the letter you are seeing is polled from the printer directly not from the driver. As this device does not have a full display you will need to either load the utility that allows you to change settings on the printer itself, or go into the embedded web server by typing the IP address of the printer into the address bar of your browser and then going to the tray setup menu and selecting A4 there.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks - I tried the second but cannot connect - I constantly get: 

This site can't be reached

xxx.xxx.x.x took too long to respond

Where do I find the utility to change the printer setting please? I should say that on the printer setup I have selected A4 and plain as the paper type and size as the defaults and also for both trays.    

HP Recommended

If you installed the full installation package from the support.hp.com website part of the install is the HP toolbox which gives you the utility to access the embedded web server and make the required change. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.