Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet M29
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was browsing HP printer pages here, as I very well might need to buy a new printer. I've used HP printers exclusively for over 20 years, and always gotten great service. There was one model I was looking at, the M29, here: https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-laserjet-pro-mfp-m29w-printer

I read this in the product page. I don't know if this is just legalese, or if this is an indication that I cannot expect to use aftermarket toner, like I have for years and  years:

Dynamic security enabled printer. Only intended to be used with cartridges using an HP original chip. Cartridges using a non-HP chip may not work, and those that work today may not work in the future.

So my question: if I buy this M29 laser, will I still be able to use aftermarket toner?

HP LaserJet p1102w
HP 15-ef2126wm
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

All depends on whether the cartridges you buy comply with requirements to use HP compliant chips. Many cheap aftermarket cartridges do not because the chip is the most expensive part when making toner cartridges.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

All depends on whether the cartridges you buy comply with requirements to use HP compliant chips. Many cheap aftermarket cartridges do not because the chip is the most expensive part when making toner cartridges.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Interesting. I went to my toner supplier and found that the toner for that printer was more than for the toner I have been buying for my P1102w that I do have now--although the number of pages was higher, also. 

HP LaserJet p1102w
HP 15-ef2126wm
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.