Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy Photo 6230
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Yesterday, I sensed a burning smell coming from the Envy 6230 printer and the display was showing this error msg - 

" Remove and reinstall the indicated (Black) cartridge, making sure it is correctly installed. If this message continues to appear, replace the indicated cartridge. "

I removed the Black cartridge from the printer and discovered that the source of the burning smell was an electrical short in the flexible printed circuit between the cartridge contacts and the print heads. The scorched area on the flex circuit can be seen in the centre of this photo - 

HP303XL scorched flex circuit.HP303XL scorched flex circuit.

I purchased a new cartridge today so that I could use the printer until a replacement 'Instant Ink' subscription cartridge arrives. 

However, on fitting the new Black cartridge, the above error message persists. The HP Support Virtual agent was not very useful in resolving the problem. 

Has the cartridge electrical short broken the printer??  Does the printer only work with 'Instant Ink' supplied cartridges??

I welcome any suggestions.   

John S  

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@johnstr

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

You can only use Instant Ink cartridges when you're enrolled in the Instant Ink Program.

Regarding the burnt part, I recommend you to contact the HP Support Team regarding this as this could be a hardware issue.

Link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Note:  Select the country accordingly to get the contact details for support.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Re " You can only use Instant Ink cartridges when you're enrolled in the Instant Ink Program. " 

I'm not sure this is the case as I have previously used a non 'Instant Ink' cartridge in the printer.

I have contacted HP Support a couple of times regarding the issue. The first call resulted in a new Instant Ink cartridge being sent to me, which I've still to receive.  The second Support call, during which I described all the steps I've taken to try and resolve the problem resulted in no definite outcome, which was disappointing.  I'm coming to the conclusion that the printer hardware is faulty, as a result of the burnt cartridge,  and I will have to purchase a replacement printer. My Envy 6230 is four years old.

John S  

HP Recommended

We shall escalate this case.

Please look for a private message from me requesting additional information. Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have now received the replacement Instant Ink Black cartridge and installed it in the printer. Unfortunately, the same error message still persists - 

" Remove and reinstall the indicated (Black) cartridge, making sure it is correctly installed. If this message continues to appear, replace the indicated cartridge. "

Have tried a few Power On/Off cycles and cartridge re-installs, but the error msg still remains. This would indicate that the original cartridge failure caused some permanent hardware failure in the printer circuitry ...

John S 

HP Recommended

Re -  " We shall escalate this case."

It is now 4 days since your above comment, do you have an update on my printer issue? 

John S

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.