Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8740
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

After a recent firmware update, replacement cartridges give an error "Older Generation Cartridge Installed". Is there a way to revert to the previous firmware, since my printer was working perfectly before the firmware update? If not, is there a work around to get the new firmware to accept the HP 952xl cartridge (purchased late 2020)?  

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I am experiencing the same issue.  I updated the firmware a week ago on an HP8740 printer b/c I was getting a error: Cartridge not recognized...even thought I was using HP cartridges.  The printer was working after the firmware update for the past week.  I moved the printer this morning and after turning it on, I get the "Older Generation Cartridge Installed" error and am unable to print.

HP Recommended
I have exactly the same issue. Anyone has a solution for this. I have plenty of HP original replacement cartridges which the printer is now labeling them as OLD GENERATION cartridge. The issue is the printer doesn't want to print AT ALL
HP Recommended

This is ridiculous. I am in the same boat. I would expect better from HP considering these are genuine cartridges made for this printer. My wife is pretty upset as we use a lot of ink.   planned obsolescence to sell more ink? I don’t see how it could be a maintenance issue.  Anyways let me know if anyone figures it out.

HP Recommended

Did anyone figure this out?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.