Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I've been using Officejet 8600 Plus for over 7 years with 3rd party ink cartridges and now after recent update it doesn't work!!! As soon as it is powered on "Printer Failure."

I have tried all the on/off sequences I've seen on the internet. Even put in old empty cartridges that I had, (which did allow the printer to power up properly, but with depleted ink) but as soon as I put in my 3rd party ink, that was working a few days ago, it goes into "Printer Failure." I did Software uninstall/reinstall and the Firmware Updater and nothing helped.

I have a small home business and 2 kids schooling from home due to pandemic. it is unacceptable that HP would completely disable my printer from being used. I will not be forced to buy expensive HP ink, if I buy anything it will be another brand printer.

I need another update ASAP to correct this, there is no way to rollback recent update.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Annoyed20, Welcome to HP Support Community!

The third-party ink cartridges will work. But there are many cartridges in the market which is refilled and sometimes the chip is not configured to work with the printer. You need to contact the cartridge manufacturer and find out why it's not working. Try a different cartridge supplier and check if that works.

I hope that answers your concern adequately. Let me know!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

this does not answer our widespread question.

the chip in the 3rd party cartridges has worked for years. HP has done something to change things.

What is the solution?

I'm a Mac user now with two printers (OfficeJet 8610 and 8710) which both can't print because of this issue. 

please advise

HP Recommended

I have the same issue with my officejet x551dw! After I RELUCTANTLY updated the printer (it kept nagging and nagging about an update; to stop it from bothering me EVERY SINGLE DAY, I took the update) it now says the ink cartridges are damaged! **bleep**!!! They are still half full and have worked fine for years! They are not HP original though, but that's NEVER been an issue since the firmware update that removed the dynamic security thing, or whatever it's called. I'm pretty sure they just slipped that in with the new update. I will NOT buy the ridiculously expensive HP ink and I will rather change the printer. You CANNOT force me to use any kind of ink in it, the same way a car maker CANNOT force me to use their oil in the engine! Can you imagine trying to fill up the oil and the car not letting you do it because it's not original oil??? This has to be illegal, as it's my printer, it's out of warranty and I should be able to do with it as I see fit. I will definitely contact my consumers' rights organization and see what they say about this. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.