Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
officejet 4635
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

last gasp here, if cannot fix im thru with HP

My officejet 4635 ran out of ink mid print, never fails... i orderded new aftermarket cartridges, and printer started giving me error :

Incompatible Cartridges

The indicated cartridges are not intended for use in this printer.

So i went out and bought a new hp 61 cartridge, and installed it and same error message.

just spent an hour and a half holding on support phone line and it just abruptly disconnected. 

tried cleaning cartridge already to no avail. any assistance would we welcome.

thank you

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

I noticed a lot of other posts being replied to, why not all of them. there are many issues on this forum that seem like they are just being ignored! can I please get some assistance?

HP Recommended

@Lupole1, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

HP does not recommend the use of non-HP ink cartridges. It may or may not work and can damage the printing mechanism. 

This printer supports printing in single-cartridge mode. Insert one ink cartridge at a time and check for errors to identify the defective ink cartridge.

Perform the steps mentioned in this document - HP Printer Does not Print and Error Indicates Faulty Ink Cartridge

Make sure the plastic tape if any, is removed from the new ink cartridge before placing it in the printer.

If the issue persists, please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the replacement options. 

You may create a case on the website to obtain a case number if required. Kindly watch this video to know how.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply Kumar0307 . 

I had been running my printer in single cartridge mode for a while now, i dont have a real need for color ink. The cartridge i was using was an aftermarket 61xl, it worked fine. problems started after it ran out of ink. i put in another aftermarket 61 xl cartridge. and the incompatable error came up. so i went out and got original hp 61 and printer is still giving me error with it in. also i already have a case # 

Case number: 5065094148

from when i contacted support a few days ago. Please tell me you have a fix for this.

Thank you,

Ryan

HP Recommended

@Lupole1

If you have tried the steps mentioned in the above-attached document and the error persists, I'm afraid it could be an issue with the printer. If you have an alternate black ink cartridge that works, then you may contact the HP Support team for a replacement.

If not, as the printer is out of warranty, you must upgrade. 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes I have tried all those steps. i have read a lot of posts and see many others having cartridge issues, many seeem to be due to updates etc. if this is my problem as well. i do not feel a upgrade is needed. problem only happened after changing cartridge so to me it seems like something to do with the software. so please send me a fix if this is the case. thank you

HP Recommended

@Lupole1

Unfortunately, there is no other fix. If you believe it is an issue with the ink cartridge, you will have to contact the HP support team for replacement if applicable. However, 2 ink cartridges gave the same error, hence it can be concluded that it is an issue with the printer. 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

you guys are no help, all you want people to do is buy new. if i have to go that route im not buying HP again. maybe i can report to some consumer protection agency and see if i get help that way. this is absurd!!  

HP Recommended

@Lupole1

I'm sorry you feel that way. Let me escalate this issue to the concerned team.

Please look for a private message from me requesting additional information. Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for pushing this over to some one else who was also versed in being not helpful!!

Good luck to anyone else reading this. if your printer is out of warranty. your out of luck! This is all they could say to me , such a waste of time!

I'm done with HP. Just ordered a Cannon printer on Amazon

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.