Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4500

I keep getting the message: “incompatible cartridge(s)”. I have tried everything I could find in the HP suggestions. I have unplugged it for 60 seconds, made sure the system was updated, wiped down the cartridge & printer. I even restored the printer to factory settings. Everything with my printer seems to work fine except the black cartridge. I have tried 4 different black cartridges (2 from instant ink, 1 regular HP, and 1 other brand). It is clearly not a problem with the cartridge. I have barely used this printer. I have read through comments on here with other people having the same issues, and it seems that HP gives the same generic answer. It is frustrating that I cannot seem to talk to a live person about this issue. The customer service is super frustrating!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Reina19 Considering the fact that you've already checked with multiple cartridges, cleaned the contacts among other steps and yet the cartridge error continues to occur, even after a firmware update (I'm assuming that's what you meant by "system was updated"), this confirms a hardware malfunction within the printer and it requires either a repair or a replacement!

If the device is within an HP warranty, I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

We have just recently purchased an HP Envy Pro 6432 and signed up for Instant Ink cartridges. I have just spent the last hour or so having replaced empty cartridges, trying to get the printer to work. There is a flashing E error message on the printer as well as  a flashing light at the opening to the cartridge area and a flashing light in front of the colour cartridge. I have followed all HP support suggestions. I cannot do the Firmware update as it is not finding the printer. I have tried the virtual help assistant and after going round in numerous circles I got directed here. I really hope someone can help as I have important documents to print off. I have even tried calling the HP help on the contact for Ireland and somehow ended up having to send a WhatsApp message.  Thanks a mill

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.