Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 6978
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello! I have an OfficeJet Pro 6978 here in my office. There are only two of us who use it. It is connected to the network and used wirelessly. We have been using it for at least four years, as my boss moved into this office in early 2018. Previous to this, we have had no issues with ANY of the color or black printing. We also currently have a non-HP black installed (they were sent to us, but we usually use HP), but all color cartridges are authentic HP cartridges. 

We are having no issue with black or yellow. The magenta is... occasionally iffy. However, our cyan is refusing to print. We put in a new cartridge and it must've had a leak because we installed it on Wednesday of last week when we started working on this, and now it is Monday and we've only been printing in Black except when doing test prints, diagnostic pages, alignment pages, etc. 

I have done pretty much everything in troubleshooting and online forums. I've uninstalled and reinstalled. I've cleaned the printer heads underneath, on top, and using the printer clean functions. I've done troubleshooting with Smart HP, HP Print and Scan Doctor, and through the HP support website. I've updated drivers (which were already up to date). I'm losing my mind and have literally run out of all options except taking it in to fix. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
James

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@JSMULTIADMIN

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Root level uninstall and reinstall printer drivers

• Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP OfficeJet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

To reinstall, click here.

• If the issue continues, uninstall and reinstall printer Basic drivers from the link: Click here
  • If the issue still continues, install using the Windows Built-in Print DriverClick here

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I actually already did this. It did nothing.

My boss has the same printer at home and had no issues until recently. Her laptop did an update and now her printer at home won't print cyan either. 

HP Recommended

I have all new cartridges in and no ink appears on page. And no error message. What is going on?:(

HP Recommended

@JSMULTIADMIN  @Kim3000

Thank you for posting back. 

Let's try this:

• With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Remove USB cable, if present.
  • Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.
  • Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord (This is important) and then plug back the power cord to the printer.
  • Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Keep me posted!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.