Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Oficejet pro 8715
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

In changing cartridges, my printer ( OfficeJetPro 8715) shows an older generation cartridge error. I did the unplug printer thing. The cartridges installed have an expiration date (Mar 2020) newer than the printer purchase date and newer than the expiration date on the cartridges I removed(May 2019). They are all genuine HP cartridges. How is this even possible unless HP did a software update causing this? Is there a way to get past this error message?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So, this is an issue of HP updating the firmware making perfectly compatible cartridges that were purchased after the printer was manufactured unusable.  I downgraded the printer firmware and the compatible cartridges work perfectly.

View solution in original post

41 REPLIES 41
HP Recommended

So, this is an issue of HP updating the firmware making perfectly compatible cartridges that were purchased after the printer was manufactured unusable.  I downgraded the printer firmware and the compatible cartridges work perfectly.

HP Recommended

How were you able to get back to the old version of firmware?  I've been digging and can't figure it out.

HP Recommended

Google Search: hp 8715 downgrade firmware was how I found it

HP Recommended

Thank you for some very very helpful information 🙂

I have been writing with HP for 2 weeks now and my first question was, if there were a problem with and update ... and now it shows ... YES, HP makes and update, that declines "older" cartridges. Shame on you HP 😞

HP Recommended

Thank you for posting.  I've the same issue on a Officejet Pro 6960 will search how to downgrade my S/W version to use up my "old" cartridges.  

HP Recommended

I have not been able to find a downgrade version of the firmware..  do you have an HP for it?

HP Recommended

https://www.ldproducts.com/firmware-downgrade was where I found one for my printer.

HP Recommended

I have HP 8715 printer.  When an update to firmware was installed, it caused all HP print cartridges to be invalid.  All my color and black ink are useless.  Msg says "OLDER GENERATION CARTRIDGE NOT COMPATIBLE".  HP offers no fix for problem.  I guess they want me to toss printer.  The downgrade to firmware fixed problem.  I'm still having a problem where the firmware wants to auto install every time I turn printer on.  I have turned off auto update.  I'm hoping HP will listen to its customers.  You Tube videos show how angry people are - does HP care?  

HP Recommended

Did the websites have you download a zip file and run an exe file?  I'm a bit hesitant and worry about a virus.  Are these ok to trust?  What's a website your trust?   Thank you!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.