Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP DeskJet 2742e All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The color prints from photos I am getting on my DeskJet 2700e series have a gray haze over them and I have plenty of color and black and white in the ink cartridges. I have had for a month now, and only tried printing photos approximately a week ago. I have tried following all the directions and they are still horrible. Printed perfectly on my old HP Photosmart 4780 same pictures were clear as a bell, these come out terrible. Pictures I have saved to photo's have come out like the actual picture is there, but it looks as if you would smear Vaseline over them, so overcast like, it has a haze over any picture I print.  I Only have printed really small prints- 2 1/2 by 3 1/2 inches.  and the largest was3 3/4 by 5 1/4 inches.  I don't want to waste anymore of my Glossy Premium Photo paper that has always produced great pic's. This is very upsetting. I wanted to print some pics of our dog that passed away. They are so clear the photo's I have taken with phone or camera, so this is very frustrating. I have no other printing problem when it prints documents, emails etc. The display hieroglyphics on the left side of printer are ridiculously faint, barely can see them.  Same with the printer "window" that displays the wifi, ink amounts, paper etc. They put no LIGHT in it, for you to see clearly? I always had HP and had great success with my 12 yr old printer that just started having problems after I bought and installed new HP ink cartridges. Even my laptop is H.P. The prior panel lit up; this is so dark I can barely stand it. If I could at least resolve why, it has printed photos so badly, I'd consider keeping it. I believe it has also been the reason all of a sudden since I've had it, the connection has cut out the wifi 3 times in last week and a half. Takes me an hour to get it back, unplugging everything-modem and router reset several times and turn off and restart my laptop several times. I never had this with the other printer, maybe once or twice a year after a bad storm. BUT I could reset that printer connection by a few presses of the push button on the printer. Please help!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @WHM1964,

Welcome to the HP Support Community

I understand you are facing a print quality issue with your HP DeskJet 2742e All-In-One printer. Not to worry I will help you to get a resolution to resolve the issue.

To assist better:

• Are you using genuine HP ink cartridges?
  • Does the copy print out the same way? 
  • What's the application you are trying to print from? 
  • Have you tried printing from a different application or device? 

While you respond to that, let's print a Print Quality Diagnostic page -Post the Print Quality Diagnostic page here so we can help you further. 

You may also refer to this document with steps to fix the " Print Quality Issues" issue applicable to your printer -  Print Quality Issues

Also, try updating the printer's firmware - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

ANAND_ANDY
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.