Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 7640
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Envy 7640 Error Message on printer screen: 

"Remove and reinstall the indicated ink cartridge, making sure it is correctly installed, and then touch OK." I removed both cartridges, cleaned their contacts, and reinstalled them, but problem still exists. I reinstalled both cartridges because I didn't see an instruction to remove/replace one specific cartridge. Occasionally, the printer will print and does so perfectly in color. Then, error message appears.

For example, I also reinstalled the printer hardware and software-wise. Then, I printed the test page, and it printed perfectly. However, the error message appeared after printing. So, I pressed OK, the message disappeared, and the normal display is showing. Word and Settings now say the printer is Offline, and the printer won't print.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Fred_Mertz

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

Please download and run the HP Print And Scan Doctor

Link: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/patches/HPPSdr.exe 

Run PSDR v5.0.2 

Once the PSDR detects the Printer, it will show up the IP address and Software Status. 

Select the correct Printer and click on Next. 

PSDR will check if the Printer is on the Network and communication between the PC and the Printer. Once the connection check is done, click on Fix Printing 

Once PSDR goes through all checks and automatic fixes, click on Print a test page. 

Regardless if PSDR printed the test page or not, click on “NO PRINT” 

PSDR will then notify you that there is an update available, click on continue, and PSDR will apply the patch and ask for a reboot. 

Post restart the PSDR will run automatically to check for more issue.  If no issue found close PSDR. 

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you, KrazyToad, for your comprehensive response. However, I bought an Epson XP-6100 All-In-One Ink-Jet Wireless Printer. With some head scratching, I managed to install that printer, and it seems to be operating OK so far. When I get a moment, I will try the procedure you sent me to see if I can resurrect my HP printer.

HP Recommended

Thank you for keeping me posted

Drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.