Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5052
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My printer has decided it would be a great idea to print a long black line down the left-hand side of every page. Nothing I've tried has resolved the issues.

I tried replacing the black cartridge with a new one. I tried 2 brand new cartridges to no avail.

I ran both the alignment and clean printer head functions repeatedly with no improvement.

I've gone through the virtual chat support process.

I've tried turning it off and on again (unplugging it for several minutes then plugging it back in).

It has tricked me repeatedly into thinking it's fixed because the problem seems to be if it's printing more than one page. The first page will usually print fine, but then the pages after it come out with a long black line down the side.

I noticed there are other people posting about having the same issue and HP is not providing any help resolving it. Given that the printer can obviously print pages without the line, the problem is likely software related, likely due to a faulty printer update and not faulty hardware or cartridges, but that's my guess.

Whatever is wrong, I need help fixing it. Does anyone have any ideas?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Justprintit, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). 

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same problem on my brand new out of the box Envy 7830.  Black line printed on left side of every other page.  Did yo get a solution?

Thanks,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.