Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8022
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Not able to print anymore after automatic firmware update of my OfficeJet Pro 8022

Even if I used third party cartridges I am just disappointed and angry that suddenly, without any notice, my personally purchased devices is now completed useless. Before the update everything was working perfectly. Also the quality was just good.

Since my printer was working fine and I don't want and need instant ink I would like to have a solution to get it back working or a rollback to the old firmware (were everything was working good)

I really need my printer pretty urgent and honestly don't accept that my own printer is not working after a firmware update although the hardware is completed fine!

What is the solution to perform a rollback or get it back working with the existing one

25 REPLIES 25
HP Recommended

It gets worse. after a S/W update I have a similar issue.    I use Hp cartridges 903XL , the use by date has lapsed and now the printer will not accept these colour cartridges - £51 ($69) worth.  I've had to place the empty cartridges back in to print B&W.

HP Recommended

Jon, I am having the same issues with my 8012 printer.. Tried to return to factory settings without any luck. Any other ideas on how to tackle this issue?

Thanks, James

HP Recommended

right now my printer has the following FW Version: MALBLIPP1N001.2151B.00

There is nothing in my downloads folder as the printer did the update automatically on its own. After I did the factory reset I disabled the automatic updates but I guess its too late.

I also hopelessly tried to do an new HP firmware update from HPs website but the file I download says

"that there are no updates for my printer". Probably because I already have the infested firmware...

HP Recommended

Hi

I have exactly the same problem.

Ink cartridges blocked by printer firmware

FW :MALBECPP1N001.2151B.00

HP OfficeJet Pro 8020 series

What options do I have?

HP Recommended

Hi Jon, 

i guess buying original HP cartridges temporarily is currently the only opportunity we have. Thank you very much for your effort and commitment. 

Reset to factory default unfortunately did not solve the issue. Printer is still useless.

Hope to have a solution soon otherwise i have to buy another printer from another brand.

This is ridiculous.

best regard

Robert

HP Recommended

My printer was working perfectly.

After the update, it's now useless. (Non HP Chip Detected)

I've tried everything I can find, but nothing seems to work.

I will NEVER buy HP products again.

I hope someone can help get this fixed.

HP Recommended

Thanks to you and anybody else that has the knowledge and tries to find a solution!

There are 2 things that will NEVER happen from my side.

1. Buy original HP cartridges. If you calculate the price per litre on the ink they are selling you would think that this liquid has some magical and mystical properties for that price.

2. Buy ANY other product from HP. What they are doing is close to criminal. If they want they can void my warranty if the non-HP cartridges damage the printer (lol) but don't come with me with BS that is "for our safety"

I am going to wait it out for a couple of weeks. It the community does not find a solution I guess I am buying a new printer. It is a matter of principle. Better "waste" 200$ then be a victim of extortion from a group of bandits.

@HP: In your next update you should regionalize where the printer is set up in our homes. If somebody moves it from his office to the living room you should definitely brick them. Who do they think they are!

Thank for your effort Jon - I hope you can find a solution.

HP Recommended

Officejet 8012 here. Got back to work yesterday. It did some update, now tells me one of my cartridges has been blocked. For having a Non-HP chip. No buttons on the screen or the panel. Can scroll the message up and down but that's it, the message is stuck on there. Pretty useless. Can't even scan. I took the cartridge out, it said I was missing a cartridge, has one button, the video button. Press that, then explains what to do, then it has one button, the return button. Then at one point it asked me to install setup cartridges??? I don't have the original cartridges...

This unit is still under warrarnty so I think I will take this back as it is just a paperweight now.

HP Recommended

Hi Jon,

I am woking on a MAC. Should I follow the same procedure?

--> Deinstall HP Smart

--> Do a factory reset

--> Try to print without installing HP Smart

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.