Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I've tried a Factory reset.

The firmware remains the same.

HP Recommended

Yes, HP should allow a firmware downgrade to solve this.

HP Recommended

I too have this problem. I posted two days ago, and have not heard anything from HP.  They obviously just don't care, with as many complaints as has been raised (with a lot more to come I'm sure) and no response or rollback of firmware to alleviate this problem. Customers have a lot of $$ tied up in useless printers right now. I certainly would not recommend HP printers!! I didn't have a problem until I did a s/w update.

HP Recommended

And I have only used HP cartridges.  First cartridge out of pack worked fine, second one now does not. And when I replace the old cartridge, the printer now has a message that it is counterfeit or used.  Come on HP, get this fixed!!!

HP Recommended

I received a PM from HP detailing how to perform a semi /full reset.

This did not reset the firmware.

This did not fix the issue.

I have replied to HP and as yet have heard nothing back.

My printer remains a brick.

I await assistance from anyone who can help undo the firmware update.

HP Recommended

I too believe a firmware rollback is warranted, or a fix to current firmware.  This is absolutely ridiculous!!  Sorry for my soapbox.

HP Recommended

We need a procedure how to revert firmware to the previous version.

HP Need to listen

HP Recommended

As bad as the blocking of third party ink cartridges is, I (and many of the other responders with this problem) have only been using genuine HP cartridges. For HP to curtail the use of their own, maybe older, cartridges to presumably force us to buy newer ones is preposterous, and ridiculous!!  Only by letting HP know how you feel about this will anything be done about it.

HP Recommended

For a possible workaround, try this website.  I was able to use my older genuine HP ink cartridges after following the process on the website. Use at your own risk, and I would run virus/malware scans on anything downloaded. Don't know if it will help with third party ink or not.  https://www.compandsave.com/hp-printer-firmware-downgrade 

HP Recommended

That didn't work for me. Printer is greyed out and cannot be selected. Also it says the status was not applicable.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.