Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro M402n
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP LaserJet Pro M402n that keeps saying there's a paper jam in tray 2.

I have replaced all of the parts with a maintenance kit (Pickup roller, Roller M.P. Paper Pick-up, Separation Pad, the roller at the one end of Tray 2, and a longer roller inside the printer) and the error still persists. I have taken the tray out, looked at both front and back door for blockages and found nothing. 

I had to try and fix the Tray 2 last month, and the only piece I couldn't find a place for was a small angled black piece that I had researched and found needed a small spring in it.

Could this possibly be the cause, or is this printer just really old and failing? Is there a way that this can be fixed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The pick roller will usually rotate 2-3 times.  If no paper enters the registration area, a jam error will occur.  Double check the paper lever indicator on the cassette tray.  Look at where it connects to the metal part of the tray.  If the paper indicator lever is sitting on top of the metal part, it will prevent the cassette tray lifting process.  You should be able to eyeball the area and tell if lever is out of position.  

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Install the paper tray and make sure that the paper lever on the front of the tray moves.  Sometimes the paper lever gets out of position.  If the tray 2 roller does not advance the paper from the tray, you will get a jam error.  Cassette tray needs to raise up to the pickup position and stay there.  Does printer work from the manual tray?  

HP Recommended

I made sure all of the pieces were as they should be. I had not tried the manual printing tray, only tray 2, as it's the one the teachers and students have to print from. The little square lever in the front of the printer on tray 2 was all the way down.

HP Recommended

Test the manual tray to confirm that printer will print.  If cassette tray is good, it is a pickup/paper path issue.  When jams occur from tray 2 printing, does paper move out of tray?  Where does leading edge of jammed paper stop?

HP Recommended

So, we found out that if the tray is not loaded fully, it won't print. When it gets down to a certain height, it will refuse to print or pick up any paper. it considers this a jam, although no paper has physically gone through the printer,.

HP Recommended

The pick roller will usually rotate 2-3 times.  If no paper enters the registration area, a jam error will occur.  Double check the paper lever indicator on the cassette tray.  Look at where it connects to the metal part of the tray.  If the paper indicator lever is sitting on top of the metal part, it will prevent the cassette tray lifting process.  You should be able to eyeball the area and tell if lever is out of position.  

HP Recommended

@GV_Tech1 wrote:

I have an HP LaserJet Pro M402n that keeps saying there's a paper jam in tray 2 while i taking out print of brake pads.

I have replaced all of the parts with a maintenance kit (Pickup roller, Roller M.P. Paper Pick-up, Separation Pad, the roller at the one end of Tray 2, and a longer roller inside the printer) and the error still persists. I have taken the tray out, looked at both front and back door for blockages and found nothing. 

I had to try and fix the Tray 2 last month, and the only piece I couldn't find a place for was a small angled black piece that I had researched and found needed a small spring in it.

Could this possibly be the cause, or is this printer just really old and failing? Is there a way that this can be fixed?

Do you roll the roller clockwise and anti-clockwise. As i once face that issue all things clear nothing is stuck there i just rotate 2,3 times clock and anti clock both and then print 1 page for testing and it start working.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.