Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Color Laser MFP 178nwg

Screenshot_20230131-120313.png

Dear all,

My MFP 178nw has an issue with ghost images. Even though I did not print much at all (around 400 pages total) I guess the catrige transfer unit needs to be cleaned (I am open to any other suggestions!)

Since it is impossible to find any information about how to remove the unit for cleaning, can anyone tell me how to do that? Are there any screws I need to remove? I cannot just pull it out.

Thanks

Sebastian 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Ok, solved it. I disassembled the drum unit, cleaned the drum itself and got rid of lots of toner which has accumulated in the unit. Did took a while but now I have a clean print again. 😃

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

That is more likely a drum issue, no belt. Replace the drum with the working one.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Thanks for the hint. I'll try it with cleaning first. I cannot really believe the drum is broken after such a small amount of printouts....

HP Recommended

The printer was not working for a long period, over a year or more and that is the problem, not the number of pages printed.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Well, I do not print every week, that's true. But at least once per month. I would accept this fact when printing once per year, though.

I'll clean the drum with some cleaning alcohol and see what happens. Worst case is a new drum. Thanks!

HP Recommended

Ok, solved it. I disassembled the drum unit, cleaned the drum itself and got rid of lots of toner which has accumulated in the unit. Did took a while but now I have a clean print again. 😃

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.