Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 2710
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have own several HP printers in the past an up to now they have been good cheep printers that basically worked well enough.

This time the printer I bought is just plain terrible. It is a HP 2710, which I know is a very cheep printer.

I have put this printer right next to my computer, it is so close I could lean over and touch it.

I then installed the HP smart app from the windows store as instructed. I had to put in a pin number found on the device to install print drivers -  why do I need a pin for a printer on my network? Is there no alternative to the Windows store app anymore? the last HP printer I bought had software which just let me use the printer/scanner. 

I went to scan a document by pressing the scan button on the HP smart app . The app told me I had to sign in to HP's website to use the scanner function. The scanner is part of the printer that is right next to the computer... Why on earth do I have to sign into the cloud to make a simple scan??

I get that you would have a online HP account for the print cartridges service but I think you may wish to reconsider if this is really sensible for simple things like scanning. IOT can go to far.

While I am moaning would a simple on/off switch really add to much to the price? Also I signed up to the Ink subscription and when the ink arrived I put the box away as I thought I would just use up the ink that came with the printer before putting in the new cartridges but when I went to print I found that the old cartridges had to be replaced with the new ones even though the old cartridges were almost full. Is this not just a waste of resources? The box the replacement cartridges arrived in was a big cardboard box sent from France. Does HP really hate the enviroment? You appear to be going out of your way in every step to purposely use as much resourses as you can?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Michael87867565, Welcome to HP Support Community!

We shall escalate this issue to the concerned team.

Please look for a private message from me requesting additional information. Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.