Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 9025e
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased a new HP OfficeJet Pro 9025e. The "HP Easy Start" software I downloaded from 123.hp.com begins installing, takes me through several privacy and security related pages, and then fails. The failure page has the following error message:

"Unable to show web based content

The version of Internet Explorer on this computer can't display the necessary setup content. Update your browser and relaunch HP Easy Start

If you continue to see this error, use a mobile device or a different computer to complete printer setup.

(Error Code: OW_500_OWSID00002)"

My Windows 10 Home 64-bit does not have Internet Explorer, and never has it. It is using Microsoft Edge. Internet Explorer has been discontinued and is currently at the end of it's life. Microsoft is no longer issuing fixes or doing anything with it. I am unclear why I can't setup my new printer without "updating" my PC to use Internet Explorer, but that's not even an option for modern Windows - there's no way for me to "go back" and install Internet Explorer.

I guess I will just return this printer, since it's totally unusable without this legacy piece of software. Installing the printer from "another PC or a mobile device" is irrelevant since  this PC is the one that will do 99% of the printing and 100% of the scanning.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Answering my own question:

The HP Easy Start software package requires Internet Explorer 11. It will not function without it. I found two interesting notes:

1. If you download the installation package, you can extract it using 7-Zip or another program to access the setup files. Inside that package are MSI's for 32-bit and 64-bit windows to install the required drivers and the basic software, and this bypasses the HP Easy Start installer, which is functionally garbage and requires having IE11 enabled.

2. You can temporarily install IE11 on most Windows 10 PC's by using the "Optional Features" installer in Windows 10. Then if you do a reboot, you must start IE11 up at least once. Then you can restart the HP Easy Start software, which will should now complete.

HP's failed attempt to make something "Easy" requires you to run a discontinued, unsupported, insecure Web Browser. It appears that all it uses IE11 for is to open a web browser window to pitch you HP Easy Ink, which you still can signup for outside of IE11. It appears to be just totally sloppy handling and implementation to require IE11 to be able to open a URL link in a web browser window. Just lazy.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Answering my own question:

The HP Easy Start software package requires Internet Explorer 11. It will not function without it. I found two interesting notes:

1. If you download the installation package, you can extract it using 7-Zip or another program to access the setup files. Inside that package are MSI's for 32-bit and 64-bit windows to install the required drivers and the basic software, and this bypasses the HP Easy Start installer, which is functionally garbage and requires having IE11 enabled.

2. You can temporarily install IE11 on most Windows 10 PC's by using the "Optional Features" installer in Windows 10. Then if you do a reboot, you must start IE11 up at least once. Then you can restart the HP Easy Start software, which will should now complete.

HP's failed attempt to make something "Easy" requires you to run a discontinued, unsupported, insecure Web Browser. It appears that all it uses IE11 for is to open a web browser window to pitch you HP Easy Ink, which you still can signup for outside of IE11. It appears to be just totally sloppy handling and implementation to require IE11 to be able to open a URL link in a web browser window. Just lazy.

HP Recommended

@dh34747

Welcome to the HP support community.

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.