Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OFFICEJET 4650 ALL IN ONE

1) To restore color a step which may consider validation is to right click on the driver for your printer and click on the tab to restore a previous version of the driver. Access depends on your Windows version: (CONTROL PANEL > (HARDWARE) PRINTERS AND SCANNERS > HP OFFICEJET 4650)

2) I also recommend you go to the HP website and download the HP print and scan doctor which will fix all your problems, except for printing in color.
https://support.hp.com/us-en/topic/printscandoctor

3) After all is done with the HP print and scan doctor, you might try reinstalling the basic original driver for the printer only, that's if you still have the disk used to originally install it when it did print in color.

4) Otherwise you can follow the usual steps most have followed to restore color to their HP Office Jet 4650 printer, after using the HP print and scan doctor.
-----------------------------------------------------

5) The following steps are to reinstall the basic driver for the HP OfficeJet 4650 printer only and only after you have used the HP print and scan doctor to install all drivers for printing & scanning.

-----------------------------------------------------

Steps below are for Windows 10
~ it's the alternate driver for the HP printer that needs to be installed in order to print in color.
~ Updated drivers just overwrite the old drivers so don't update your HP OfficeJet 4650 drivers after following the recommended procedures. I don't have time to go into much detail but I will help as much as I can.
~ I recommend to first go to the HP website & search for the HP Envy 7640 printer driver first.
https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-7640-e-all-in-one-printer-series/6617267
(Choose the basic driver)

~ Download & try to install the HP Envy 7640 printer driver first. It may not do it all the way, so if it gets stuck then just cancel the installation. The necessary drivers are now available.
~ Good Luck I know you can do it. Now you can follow the next steps given by an HP support agent:
------------------------------------------------

senan6806
HP Support Agent
‎04-11-2019 01:36 PM

@Miraclesabound4

A warm welcome to HP Community!

Adding an alternate driver may resolve the issue. Here is how to do it:

1.) In Windows, Using the Windows (Magnifiying Glass) Search icon, in the bottom far left of the screen, Search for and open Control panel, then click Devices and Printers

2.) In the Devices and Printers folder, right-click on your HP Officejet 4650 printer icon, then left-click on Printer Properties.

3.) Left-click on the, Advanced tab

4.) Left-click on, New Driver

5.) When the New Driver window opens just hit 'Next', you will see a list of Manufacturers on the left and a list of Printers on the right.

6.) Select HP as the Manufacturer on the left

7.) Select HP Envy 7640 Series as the printer on the right.
REM: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-7640-e-all-in-one-printer-series/6617267
(Choose the basic driver)

8.) After selecting the HP Envy 7640 Series, click Next to complete the New Driver Wizard.

9.) Click Finish

10.) Go back to the list of, devices and printers

11.) Rename the HP Envy 7640 printer icon back to HP Officejet 4650.

12.) Hit OK.

Keep me posted!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!
Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------:

~ Let me know if it works, Thanx from HYPRTCKR

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hey @HYPRTCKR,

The HP Print and Scan Doctor does resolve this problem too, the key is to select Yes and to follow the HP Print and Scan Doctor Utility intended for an Offline condition (5.0.7), then you should be able to print in color using the newly added print queue:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-Knowledge-Base/Windows10-No-Color-option-available-when-print...

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.