Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 6970
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have 3 of this same printer and can never tell them apart in the app because they all show up as HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-in-one. When I go to the "select a different printer" option only one name shows up as it does in my "devices and printers" section of the control panel. The others show up with their given name. It's very annoying and seems small but is a huge hassle because the app is the only way I can get the scanner to work quickly but I can never select the right printer quickly. Please help. 

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

@siemo11

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

Flower_Bud is at your service.

As I understand, all your printer showing up with the same name on your PC,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution:

Were there any hardware/software changes?

Are you seeing the same name in your PC or Phone? 

Could you share the picture of the screen showing all the three printer name? 

Once I have the information, I'll help you further to resolve the issue.

Keep me posted,

Have a great day 🙂

Cheers 🙂

HP Recommended

No, in the Control Panel the names show up as what I changed them to. My question is about the HP Smart App. On the app all the printers show up as the same name so I cannot tell which printer I need to select to scan. The app is the quickest way to scan so I need it to work properly. The first picture is of the home page on the app. This is what all three printers look like when you scroll to choose one. The second picture is when you select a printer. As you can see it shows the factory name not the name I gave it and what it shows up as on my print options when I print something and in my control panel. The names are complicated and similar so I cannot remember which is which. I use the app on my Surface Pro PC. hpprinters.jpghpprinters2.jpg

HP Recommended

@siemo11

Thank you for replying with the information.

As @Flower_Bud is out of the office today, I'm replying to you. 

I did some research and found that in the HP Smart app there isn't an option to change the printer names. However, you can differentiate between the printer through their serial numbers. This way you may chose the correct printer and scan:

Hope this information helps. Keep me posted for any further questions.

Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply but please pass along my dissatisfaction to the higher ups. It doesn't seem like a difficult feature to have and is an inconvenience to the product owner. If I would have known it would be difficult to differentiate between printers I would not have bought more than one of the same model. 

HP Recommended

@siemo11

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options, if any. You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding holidays & Weekends).

Response times may vary by region. Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

HP Recommended

I have this same issue and the option to review the serial number isn't a good option as it's not even visable in HP Smart until you dig into settings.  Please ask the development team to add the ability to use on of the variables which we can set (like the "Device Description" in the Printer Home Page (EWS).

Thank you.

HP Recommended

I own two of the HP OfficeJetPro 7740 printers.  Awesome!

I also would like to change the names in the HP Smart App in order to differentiate the identical printers from one another.

Pass it on.

AC

HP Recommended

I have the same issue with a pair of HP OfficeJet Pro 9020 printers.

Within the HP Smart app, the two printers look identical.

Several users on our network are not likely to enjoy having to remember serial numbers, so aliasing or using windows device names would be a big improvement to the HP Smart app.

HP Recommended

@CaymanIslands

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

I understand and we will put this across to our concerned team.

Let me know if you need any further assistance. 

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.