Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
PhotoSmart C4680
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Trying to open Printer Utility on MacOS 10.15.7 and I get a crash dump every time saying "Code Signature Invalid" for the binary /Library/Printers/hp/Utilities/HP Utility.app/Contents/MacOS/HP Utility

I upgraded to HPPrinterDrivers5.1.dmg and that didn't help.

Crash information:

Process: HP Utility [1560]
Path: /Library/Printers/hp/Utilities/HP Utility.app/Contents/MacOS/HP Utility
Identifier: com.hp.printerutility
Version: ???
Build Info: Unknown-1789~1789
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: HP Utility [1560]
User ID: 502

Date/Time: 2020-10-22 20:29:38.735 -0700
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.15.7 (19H2)
Report Version: 12
Bridge OS Version: 3.0 (14Y908)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I encountered this problem on my iMac 2019 running Catalina 10.15.7 with a JetDirect-networked HP Laserjet 2055dn. It seems that the HP drivers' code signing certificate for older print/scan drivers expired, and since HP has not updated the drivers since 2017, there is no solution to be had from HP.

The symptom is that you submit a print job, any print job, and it never prints. It never shows up as a failed job, the printer is not paused, etc. I knew that it wasn't the printer itself because I could print to it from other machines over the network.

I was able to identify the specific components that had the code signing issue by

1. looking in the MacOS Console app
  2. set it to show only errors and faults
  3. Select Reports > Crash Reports at left.

Look for errors like this:

Crashed Thread: Unknown

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (Code Signature Invalid)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason: Namespace CODESIGNING, Code 0x1

For me, this identified two items: /Library/Printers/hp/Fax/fax.backend/Contents/MacOS/fax and /Library/Printers/hp/filter/hpPostProcessing.bundle/Contents/MacOS/hpPostProcessing were both crashing every time I submitted a print job.

I was able to resolve the issue by doing the following in the Terminal:

sudo codesign -f -s - /Library/Printers/hp/Fax/fax.backend/Contents/MacOS/fax

sudo codesign -f -s -/Library/Printers/hp/filter/hpPostProcessing.bundle/Contents/MacOS/hpPostProcessing

By issuing these commands, you are setting a new, fresh code signature on those binaries and they will now run successfully. I was able to print after that.

View solution in original post

76 REPLIES 76
HP Recommended

I have the same issue and it seems that I can't use my HP Deskjet D2460 😥

HP Recommended

I re-installed my HP drivers tonight because HP Device Monitor kept crashing every few seconds. Now I get this error with the HP Utility app.

HP Recommended

Same here with 2054A. Reinstalling HPPrinterDrivers5.1 does not help.

HP Recommended

I'm having the exact same problem with a Deskjet 3050 and Catalina (10.15.7).

HP Recommended

The original 5.1 driver pack was released on Oct 24, 2017, exactly 3 years ago. (https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1888?locale=en_US). Maybe the certificate is outdated... ?

HP Recommended

me too! INSANE! 

HP Recommended

Yes, my Deskjet F4140 abruptly stopped working with both my Mac mini desktop AND my partner's AirBook. The AirBook keeps insisting it's malware (it's not), while my desktop says the certificate has expired. Suddenly, HP and Apple are NOT playing well together! I've redownloaded and reinstalled the printer software TWICE now but nothing has changed, just the same message about HP Utility now missing. Our jobs depend on this printer, HP!

"One or more components of the HP printing software are corrupted or missing. The print job cannot be completed. To fix this situation, HP recommends reinstalling the print driver software."

HP Recommended

Same issue with Deskjet 460 and OS X 10.15.7. Another computer in my household running 10.15.6 has not had the problem. Installed the 5.1 package with invalid certificate but the printer does not print with the message about missing or corrupted driver. Utility crashes as noted above.

Glad I'm not alone but I've already spent several hours on this and about to give up on HP.

EDIT: Now I cannot print from the computer with 10.15.6 either. 

HP Recommended

Same issue here with OfficeJet 4650 when launching the Printer Utility from printer preferences.

I updated drivers, installed HP Smart, but it did not resolve the problem.

HP Utility quit unexpectedly

Process: HP Utility [15254]
Path: /Library/Printers/hp/Utilities/HP Utility.app/Contents/MacOS/HP Utility
Identifier: com.hp.printerutility
Version: ???
Build Info: Unknown-1789~1789
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: HP Utility [15254]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2020-10-23 10:03:36.251 -0700
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.15.7 (19H2)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: 

Time Awake Since Boot: 1000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (Code Signature Invalid)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason: Namespace CODESIGNING, Code 0x1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.