Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Inspire 7955e All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm editing this 1/31/2022 because I noticed that I didn't include the images!

Oops, I can't insert an image directly, need to get a link. I'll be back later.

I'm unable to locate the correct place to load the envelope. Here are the places I tried:
LOADED IN THE ENVELOPE TRAY

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w7sgdUx_1OdO42VlSNr0jlX3NIJN6S2G/view?usp=sharing

LOADED IN THE 8X11 TRAY

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yEMFcOE2uxbGo7vDaLK63XDu5Oh9m5NZ/view?usp=sharing

SQUEEZED IN THE ENVELOPE TRAY
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yEMFcOE2uxbGo7vDaLK63XDu5Oh9m5NZ/view?usp=sharing

I'm not certain that what I'm calling the "Envelope Tray" actually is the place to load the envelope. If it isn't, then what is it?

The LOADED IN THE ENVELOPE TRAY image has several sizes on the tray (they don't show up in my image): 5"x5", 4"x6", 5"x7". The #10 envelope, 4"x9", a very common size (in the U.S.) is missing. Perhaps setting the guides together at the 4" size will work, but it seems like the longer length might be a problem. Will it just stop printing after 6"?

None of these locations printed an envelope.

If anyone has experience with printing envelopes on any HP printer, or if anyone can refer me to a Knowledge Base article, I will appeciate it.

TIA for you help.
FredFrog.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Apologies for jumping in unannounced.

@fredfrog2019 

There is no Envelope tray - there is a Photo Tray.

The photo tray does not support printing envelopes and only supports printing photo paper in the supported size list in the driver (printer software).  This  means:  Photo tray does not support envelopes or "custom sizes".

Key Media Sizes Supported (imperial)Envelopes; Legal; Letter; 4 x 6 in
Key Media Sizes Supported (metric)10 x 15 cm; A4; Envelopes
Media Sizes Custom (imperial)Main Tray: 3.85 x 8.5 to 5 x 14 in; Photo Tray: No custom sizes
Media Sizes Custom (metric)Main Tray: 97.79 x 215 to 127 x 355 mm; Photo Tray: No custom sizes
Media TypesPlain Paper; HP Photo Papers; HP Matte Brochure or Professional Paper; HP Matte Presentation Paper; HP Glossy Brochure or Professional Paper; Other Photo Inkjet Papers; Other Matte Inkjet Papers; Other Glossy Inkjet Papers, Plain Paper, Light/Recycled
Media Weight Recommended (imperial)18 to 22 lb
Media Weight Recommended (metric)70 to 90 g/m²
Media Weights Supported, By Paper Path (Imperial)16 to 80 lb
Media Weights Supported, By Paper Path (metric)Tray 1: A4: 75 to 90 g/m²; HP envelopes: 75 to 90 g/m²; HP Photo Paper: up to 300 g/m²; Photo Tray: photo paper: up to 300 g/m²

Envelopes should be loaded in the main tray as shown in the  User Guide on Pages 17-18

In general, a #10 envelope is likely supported and would not be considered a "custom size" envelope.

Load your #10 envelopes in the  main tray.

After the envelopes are loaded into the printer,

Alert the printer to the paper size & type.

Paper Size & Type settings can be adjusted on the printer control panel or using the Embedded Web Server (EWS).

Examples

Check / Adjust / Retain the Paper Size and Type at the Printer Display Panel

NOTE  This Section is not applicable to printers lacking a printer display panel.

Open Printer Tray,

If you have not yet done so, Remove / add desired paper size - type

else

Wait a few seconds

Close Printer Tray

On the Printer Control Display Panel,

Click Modify / Change / No-Yes (wording varies), adjust the paper size and type, Click OK

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Paper Sizes

No Size?  If the size of the Paper Size is not in the Drop-down list, Select Custom

Notes: 

• Not all printers support selection “Custom”
  • "Copy" dislikes mismatched content / paper size and type.  For example, select for Tray:  Standard sized "Letter" / "A4" plain paper

Embedded Web Server (EWS)

NOTES

• EWS is available on many network connected printers.
  • Laser Printers - Options and Settings - availability and location - are likely (and frequently) different.

If EWS is supported on your printer,

Use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) to view / configure your printer.

No Size?  If the size of the Paper Size is not included in the Drop-down list, Select Custom

Copy dislikes mismatched content / paper size and type.  If / As available,  Check / Update Copy settings  in EWS > Copy > Settings > Copy Defaults

-----------------------  -----------------------  -----------------------  ----------------------- 

EWS – Browser

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Tab Settings > Preferences > Tray and Paper Management

Model Dependent:  Check the Advanced section (at the bottom of the Tray and Paper Management menu)

Click Apply to save changes

-----------------------  -----------------------  -----------------------  ----------------------- 

EWS - HP Smart for Mobile - iOS / iPadOS

Reminder: The EWS Tray and Paper settings must be updated before you open the object to be printed.

Open HP Smart (for mobile)

Open Settings wheel

Open Add / Set Up a Printer 

Scroll down, Click, Tray and Paper

Model Dependent:  Check / Adjust settings in Advanced

Example - Retain / Modify (Edit) / Check Paper Size & Type - Tray and Paper Management

Retain_Printing_Preferences_10Retain_Printing_Preferences_10

How you print your envelope depends on what kind of software you are using.

Word > Mailings > Envelopes makes the task relatively easy.

Example - Word > Mailings > Envelopes - #10

Rabbits_and_Chickens_Test_Envelope_10_12Rabbits_and_Chickens_Test_Envelope_10_12

Other ways to do this...

You can create and print a Word document shaped and sized like a #10 envelope

and / or

Use Libre Office "Writer" to create your envelope document

HP Printer Support Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Helpful = Yes to say Thanks!

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@fredfrog2019 

Very interesting, looks like the printer is not designed to do very basic printing such as envelopes. Its manual

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c07773132.pdf

Regards,

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

For technical reasons, I'm unable to get links for these images at this time.
I'm reposting in Scanning, Faxing & Copying.
My apologies. FredFrog.

HP Recommended

How to print envelopes on the 7955e

I'm unable to locate the correct place to load the envelope. Here are the places I tried:

This is where I would expect to load the envelope.
LOADED IN THE ENVELOPE TRAY
[content removed]  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<These were removed by a moderater
LOADED IN THE 8X11 TRAY
[content removed] <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

SQUEEZED IN THE ENVELOPE TRAY

[content removed] <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHY?

I'm not certain that what I'm calling the "Envelope Tray" actually is the place to load the envelope.

The LOADED IN THE ENVELOPE TRAY image has several sizes on the tray (they don't show up in my image): 5"x5", 4"x6", 5"x7". The #10 envelope, 4"x9", a very common size (in the U.S.) is missing. Perhaps setting the guides together at the 4" size will work, but it seems like the longer length might be a problem. Will it just stop printing after 6"?

None of these locations printed an envelope.

If anyone has experience with printing envelopes on any HP printer, or if anyone can refer me to a Knowledge Base article, I will appeciate it.

TIA for you help.
FredFrog.

HP Recommended

Apologies for jumping in unannounced.

@fredfrog2019 

There is no Envelope tray - there is a Photo Tray.

The photo tray does not support printing envelopes and only supports printing photo paper in the supported size list in the driver (printer software).  This  means:  Photo tray does not support envelopes or "custom sizes".

Key Media Sizes Supported (imperial)Envelopes; Legal; Letter; 4 x 6 in
Key Media Sizes Supported (metric)10 x 15 cm; A4; Envelopes
Media Sizes Custom (imperial)Main Tray: 3.85 x 8.5 to 5 x 14 in; Photo Tray: No custom sizes
Media Sizes Custom (metric)Main Tray: 97.79 x 215 to 127 x 355 mm; Photo Tray: No custom sizes
Media TypesPlain Paper; HP Photo Papers; HP Matte Brochure or Professional Paper; HP Matte Presentation Paper; HP Glossy Brochure or Professional Paper; Other Photo Inkjet Papers; Other Matte Inkjet Papers; Other Glossy Inkjet Papers, Plain Paper, Light/Recycled
Media Weight Recommended (imperial)18 to 22 lb
Media Weight Recommended (metric)70 to 90 g/m²
Media Weights Supported, By Paper Path (Imperial)16 to 80 lb
Media Weights Supported, By Paper Path (metric)Tray 1: A4: 75 to 90 g/m²; HP envelopes: 75 to 90 g/m²; HP Photo Paper: up to 300 g/m²; Photo Tray: photo paper: up to 300 g/m²

Envelopes should be loaded in the main tray as shown in the  User Guide on Pages 17-18

In general, a #10 envelope is likely supported and would not be considered a "custom size" envelope.

Load your #10 envelopes in the  main tray.

After the envelopes are loaded into the printer,

Alert the printer to the paper size & type.

Paper Size & Type settings can be adjusted on the printer control panel or using the Embedded Web Server (EWS).

Examples

Check / Adjust / Retain the Paper Size and Type at the Printer Display Panel

NOTE  This Section is not applicable to printers lacking a printer display panel.

Open Printer Tray,

If you have not yet done so, Remove / add desired paper size - type

else

Wait a few seconds

Close Printer Tray

On the Printer Control Display Panel,

Click Modify / Change / No-Yes (wording varies), adjust the paper size and type, Click OK

Paper Sizes

No Size?  If the size of the Paper Size is not in the Drop-down list, Select Custom

Notes: 

• Not all printers support selection “Custom”
  • "Copy" dislikes mismatched content / paper size and type.  For example, select for Tray:  Standard sized "Letter" / "A4" plain paper

Embedded Web Server (EWS)

NOTES

• EWS is available on many network connected printers.
  • Laser Printers - Options and Settings - availability and location - are likely (and frequently) different.

If EWS is supported on your printer,

Use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) to view / configure your printer.

No Size?  If the size of the Paper Size is not included in the Drop-down list, Select Custom

Copy dislikes mismatched content / paper size and type.  If / As available,  Check / Update Copy settings  in EWS > Copy > Settings > Copy Defaults

EWS – Browser

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Tab Settings > Preferences > Tray and Paper Management

Model Dependent:  Check the Advanced section (at the bottom of the Tray and Paper Management menu)

EWS - HP Smart for Mobile - iOS / iPadOS

Reminder: The EWS Tray and Paper settings must be updated before you open the object to be printed.

Open HP Smart (for mobile)

Open Settings wheel

Open Add / Set Up a Printer 

Scroll down, Click, Tray and Paper

Model Dependent:  Check / Adjust settings in Advanced

Example - Retain / Modify (Edit) / Check Paper Size & Type - Tray and Paper Management

Retain_Printing_Preferences_10Retain_Printing_Preferences_10

How you print your envelope depends on what kind of software you are using.

Word > Mailings > Envelopes makes the task relatively easy.

Example - Word > Mailings > Envelopes - #10

Rabbits_and_Chickens_Test_Envelope_10_12Rabbits_and_Chickens_Test_Envelope_10_12

Other ways to do this...

You can create and print a Word document shaped and sized like a #10 envelope

and / or

Use Libre Office "Writer" to create your envelope document

HP Printer Support Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Dragon-Fur

Thanks for your instructions. They were totally on point and complete. You said "Envelopes should be loaded in the main tray as shown in the  User Guide on Pages 17-18" Yup, there it is on page iv of the Table of Contents. I apologize for not figuring this out on my own. The WORD document that I use for Mailings>Envelope specification and printing isn't at all well documented. I have to give myself a refresher course whenever I need to print an envelope...unless it's only been a day or two since I needed one.

Your Community profiles says you are an Expert. Nay, not even close. You're an Oliympic medalist, Gold, Silver...😀

FredFrog.

HP Recommended

@fredfrog2019 

You are most welcome.

I am glad the information helped.

Happy Printing.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I want to add this, which I learned when I want to print only the document. (I had already printed just the envelope.)

My document includes both the envelope and the letter. (This is done by clicking "Change document" in Mailings and envelopes.) That shows up as 2 separate pages in the WORD document.

To print just the letter, select the first page of the letter, then choose "Current page" in the print dialog. Selecting "page 2" in the dialog doesn't work. I consider this a flaw in WORD's implementation of the Mailings and envelopes, not a flaw in the printer operation/documentation.

HP Recommended

Accepting this as the solution.

HP Recommended

accepting this as the solution.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.