Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5549 All-in-One Printer

I have two PCs running Windows 10.  My Microsoft Surface Go has a "printer" named "HP Smart Printing", which relays the print settings and output to the actual printer.  It was not always that way but has been working well lately. 

I have a Dell laptop that does NOT have the "HP Smart Printing" device/printer listed, and it has constant issues printing.  Often, the Windows print dialog will list the installed printer as offline or requiring intervention. When it does list it as a viable option, jobs will often get stuck or just stall without doing anything or showing any status. 

I have installed and reinstalled the HP Smart app, and the Full install package, but have not been able to get the "HP Smart Printing" device/driver to appear.  While this seems unnecessary, utilizing the direct "HPA800B4 (HP ENVY 5540 series)" printer often fails or has problems.  (BTW, the device is actually an Envy 5549, so the automatically assigned printer name makes little/no sense, but has always been that way.)

Is there a way to install and/or add "HP Smart Printing" to my list of printers in Windows 10??

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

I just noticed that my Dell work laptop has an entry under Printers & Scanners for "HP Smart Printing" that says "App available for this device".  I don't remember seeing this for my daughter's laptop.  😞

HP Recommended

@joshcsmith13 

Welcome to the HP Community Forum.

Update - Remove "I don't know" 

Re-order the content.

First...

If you are having connection issues that prevent the installed printer software of HP Smart from being used at all, fix those issues first.

Fix connection issues or an "offline" condition:

Restart Everything, including the router that controls your network

Next,

Known solutions, presented in the order to be completed / considered

HP printer is offline or not responding - Windows / Mac  

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

After the general connection issues have been resolved,

Try the following on the system for which the HP Smart Printing queue has not been installed.

Will the Reset (plus possibly the reinstallation) of the HP Smart application help?

Maybe -- it depends on whether / why / how HP Smart Printing queue is installed and managed.

HP Smart Printing is not available on some installations.

=================

Restart "your stuff"

If not done,

Restart Everything, including the router that controls your network

That might be enough (at least short term) -- check...

============================================================

- Printer Application - HP Smart -

In order...

Check / Run Windows Updates > Install any pending updates

Next,

If not previously completed,

Restart everything, including the router that controls your network.

Open and Check HP Smart

If the HP Smart opens but does not work or hangs partly open > Close the HP Smart App.

If you cannot stop HP Smart, Restart the computer and log in > Do not restart HP Smart yet.

No Joy?

Reset HP Smart Application - Windows

Next,

Reset the HP Smart application - This action removes the app data.

Windows 10 -

Settings > Apps > Apps and Features

Windows 11 - 

Settings > Apps > Installed Apps

Search and Find HP Smart in the apps list

Open Advanced options > Reset the app

Restart the computer and log in

Open HP Smart > Sign in > Add Printer(s)

HP_Smart_Win_Apps-and-Features_ Reset_4HP_Smart_Win_Apps-and-Features_ Reset_4

If the app Reset does not work by itself,

Next,

Uninstall the HP Smart App from Settings > Apps > Apps and Features / Installed Apps

Restart the computer and log in

“Get” a new copy of the HP Smart application from the Microsoft Store

Open HP Smart > Sign in > Add Printer(s)

Comments / Commentary

Offered FYI

-- I've yet to find the exact mechanism that controls whether the HP Smart Printing queue is installed...

Close doesn't count, unfortunately.

True -- HP Smart Printing is a printing queue and job handler -- a modern GUI (Graphics User Interface) that helps guide and adjust the settings in a current print job.

HP Smart Printing is compatible with HP Smart and other software (for example, Office Word).

HP Smart Printing can make use of Presets (Shortcuts) and Printing Preferences.

Use of HP Smart Printing is optional -- in other words, if not wanted or unavailable, HP Smart Printing need not be used to access the printer features in HP Smart and / or the HP Full Feature Software.

If HP Smart Printing is installed and not wanted,

• Change the default queue / driver in Printer Properties to other than HP Smart Printing.
  • Select the printer / driver other than HP Smart Printing during the print job configuration

What about the printer?

The Envy 5549 is one of the printers in the 5540 series --

Printers in this series are essentially the same model type.

Differences might include different colors, marketing regions, possibly different connection or power. 

All use the same full driver printer software when applied to the same version of the Operating System. 

HP ENVY 5540 series Full Feature Software and Drivers 

References / Resources / Examples

Example - Windows - Printer Software - Parts

Parts_to_Printer_Software_8Parts_to_Printer_Software_8

Example - HP Smart - Simple PDF Print - HP Smart Printing

HP_Smart_Win_Smart_Printing_PDF_4

Example - Word Print - HP Smart Printing

HP_Smart_Win_Word_Smart-Printing_Sample_3HP_Smart_Win_Word_Smart-Printing_Sample_3

Example - HP Smart - Simple PDF Print

HP_Smart_Win_PDF_Print_6HP_Smart_Win_PDF_Print_6

Example - Printer Properties

9025_Printer_Properties_Advanced_Driver_List_109025_Printer_Properties_Advanced_Driver_List_10

HP Smart for Windows

HP Smart is an application available in the Microsoft Store

OR

Open the Homepage / Support Website for your printer

Category Software and Drivers > Check/ Get the App

>>> Open and Read >>> HP printer setup (HP Smart app)

NOTES: 

• Read FAQ -  including - What are the requirements to set up a printer using the HP Smart app?
  • Disconnect from Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection before downloading.
  • Turn on Wi-Fi on your computer or mobile device and connect to your network. If the computer is connected to the network with an Ethernet cable, temporarily disconnect the cable and use the Wi-Fi connection during the setup.
  • Enable Bluetooth for an HP Smart app setup: Enable Bluetooth on your computer or mobile device so that HP Smart can detect the printer during the setup.  Source: How to scan with an HP printer > FAQ > Why can't I connect my wireless printer or scan over the network?
  • HP Smart requires that you sign into the application using your HP Account credentials.
  • When working through a browser to access HP Smart, be sure you have Cookies enabled.  If cookies are enabled and you are having trouble, clear Cache and Cookies.   And / Or … Try a different browser – assign that browser as the Default. (Note:  Chrome not working?  Use / Assign a different default browser.)
  • Where possible, HP Smart benefits (likes) having the Full Feature Software / full driver printer software installed.  For example, full driver provides access to Shortcuts and Printing Preferences.
  • “Share” to email – Before using Share, add your sender email address to the Windows Mail application

• Document includes the HP Smart application download links for Windows and Mobile devices, plus an FAQ section to assist with questions / issues.
    •  FAQ examples: 
      • What are the requirements to use the HP Smart app?
      • Which printers are compatible with the HP Smart app?
      • Why do I need to sign in or create an account to use the HP Smart app features?
      • Which languages does the HP Smart app support?
    • Older versions of the HP Smart app no longer support the required login feature.
    • Update the application to the latest version to access / use HP Smart

Help Here:  Unable to download and install the HP Smart printer app

===================================================

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources

Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic Subtopic

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), Supplies, and more

Open

HP ENVY 5540 All-in-One Printer series 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community --

People who own, use, and support HP devices.

Click Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response, Dragon Fur.  I do appreciate your vigilance in these forums.  I must conclude from your comment, "

I don't know -- I've yet to find the exact mechanism that controls whether the HP Smart Printing queue is installed...

Close doesn't count, unfortunately." that this mystery may never be solved, and that is a shame.  There are too many people bemoaning the "black magic" of the HP software ecosystem, and I don't blame them.

If you do come up with a way to explicitly add the "HP Smart Printing" "printer", please do circle back and let me/us know.  As it stands now, I have one very frustrated little girl who had to leave for school today without and assignment to turn in, because when she went to print it, nothing really happened.  😞

HP Recommended

@joshcsmith13 

You are welcome.

You do not need the HP Smart Printing queue -- it is an "extra".

The Full Feature Software and HP Smart should work without the fancy HP Smart Printing queue.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community --

People who own, use, and support HP devices.

Click Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

You are correct, and I've noticed several people on these forums are adamantly opposed to connecting this way.  But as mentioned, sometimes the computer in question has a hard time "connecting" to the printer directly (over the network).  With the seemingly improved experience I've had using the "HP Smart Printing" printer/connection on my other device, I was hoping it could mitigate some of those issues.

HP Recommended

@joshcsmith13 

My opinion

True - People sometimes do not understand that -- assuming there are any alternatives -- using HP Smart Printing software / driver is optional. 

Those who do understand HP Smart Printing is optional might (still) object to the queue existing in Devices and Drivers / Printers and Scanners (Windows 11). 

Connection

"Offline" is a condition that results when the printer loses connection to the network.

Should you decide to do so, take a look at the Offline document I posted -- several of the solutions mentioned can be helpful to stabilize the connection between the printer and the network.

None of the solutions to resolve connection problems depend on having access to the HP Smart Printing driver / queue.

Example "Influencers" -- Printer / Device / Network Connection

List is not all inclusive and is offered FYI.

===========================

Dual Band Network -

Reminder:

Wireless
802.11 b/g/n – 2.4 GHz networks only

Printer supports only 2.4GHz .

What?  Printer does not support 5GHz.

Printer can be connected to a network that supports both frequencies.

The router manages traffic between devices, including those using one frequency (band) or the other.

Best Case:  Printer should be connecting to a separately named SSID network for that frequency.

General Example - Dual Network - Considerations

SSID_Dual_Band_Example_16SSID_Dual_Band_Example_16

Reference

Lifewire - 802.11 Standards Explained: 802.11ax, 802.11ac, 802.11b/g/n, 802.11a

802.11      Frequency

Standard    Band

11a         5 GHz

11b         2.4 GHz

11g         2.4 GHz

11n         2.4 GHz and 5 GHz

11ac        5 GHz

Network / Printer Discovery and Profile -

Check / Switch on Network / Printer Discovery on your computer

Example - Settings > Network and internet > Advanced network settings - Discovery and Profile

Windows_11_Network-and-Internet-Profile_Discovery_1Windows_11_Network-and-Internet-Profile_Discovery_1

Printer and the Network - Router -

Router:  Weak, old, failing, incorrectly configured, placed in other than an ideal (physical) location to maintain connection, needing a firmware update. 

Routers are notorious for being involved in network problems and are sometimes overlooked as a possible source of problems.

========================================

Printer Connection - Conflict -

Conflict:  Another device is assigned the same IP address -- when that device comes "online", it knocks the printer off the network.  Conflicts generally arise from a confusion or incorrect configuration in the router, though, the original source could also be a well-meaning static IP assignment done on the printer.

Printer Connection Type - TCP/IP -

Method - Create / Change-to TCP/IP port

TCP/IP can resolve odd connection, scanning, and installation problems.

Create / Switch to a TCP/IP Port to facilitate communication and prevent ‘offline’ issues

Find the printer's IPv4 address

Print a Configuration Page

OR

Tap on the wireless icon on the Front panel of your Printer to get the IP address

Next,
Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers >  

Right-Click the printer and Left-Click Printer Properties

OR

Windows 11

Settings > Bluetooth & devices > Printers & scanners > Select Printer > Printer Properties

Tab Ports

Click Add Port

Select Standard TCP/IP Port

Select New Port and follow the instructions

Type in the correct IP address for the printer

How-to “Create TCP Port” Video Contributed by  greenturtle
Create & Use TCP IP port
“Note that you can ALWAYS revert back to the original port that the HP software installed by selecting the HP port within the Ports tab (in Printer Properties)”

References / Resources

Printer Specifications for HP ENVY 5540, DeskJet 5570 Printers

User Guide

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources

Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic Subtopic

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), Supplies, and more

Open

HP ENVY 5540 All-in-One Printer series 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community --

People who own, use, and support HP devices.

Click Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.