Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet P1102
Other

I've recently changed to the new M1 chip MacBook Pro. My previous device was running the same OS namely Big Sur (11.0.1) and printer worked fine.  However, on the new M1 chip MacBook Pro the HP LaserJet P1102 drivers won't work. 

Steps I've taken:

1. Launched HP Easy Start from this page: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-laserjet-pro-p1102-printer-series/4110394 - ensuring I select OS 11.0. 

2. Tried to find the right driver in HP Easy Start and its sees the printer, but when you hit continue I got a message, "We were not able to automatically locate any software"

3. Went to www.hp.com/Support as suggested, but there are not other drivers suggested for this printer on this OS. 

7. Tried to add a printer from within the MacOS printer settings.   macOS seems to know that there's an attached printer -- I get a choice of USB - but when I try and select software for it, it just gives me a choice of unrelated/different brand printers - the closest is the HP laser jet Series PCL 4/5. If I install this - the printer doesn't work. 

Any suggestion on a fix or if a fix is on the way?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please make sure you hold the CTRL key, right-click HewlettPackardPrinterDrivers.pkg and select Open to launch the installation and then follow the steps on screen to complete the installation, do not double-click the file.

If the same error returns then, open System Preferences > Security & Privacy. what option is currently selected for Gatekeeper?

If you could reinstall the drivers by using this method, power on the printer and ensure it is connected, open System Preferences > Printers & scanners and press the Plus sign.
Select your printer, then be sure to select your printer model within the Use drop-down menu and press on Add, then try printing.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32
HP Recommended

@Chlebek20, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

There is no driver available for this model printer on the HP Support site to work on macOS 11. Also, this printer is not AirPrint compatible.

However, Gutenprint (formerly called Gimp-Print) provides open-source basic print drivers for many printers that would otherwise not be supported in Mac OS X. To see if your printer is supported, go to Gutenprint drivers for more information.

NOTE: Gutenprint drivers are not supported by HP or Apple.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue!  Please let me know if you find anything that helps.  I am desperate!

HP Recommended

Thanks - but a couple of issues with your post:

1. This printer worked/works fine on MacOS 11.0.1 on my other MacBook which runs on Intel Silicon. Its the new MacBook with the same OS but running the new M1 Apple Chip that isn't working correctly. So its not that the printer isn't compatible with 11.0.1 - its that HP haven't bothered updating the software for this chip set. 

2. Unfortunately Gutenprint doesn't list this printer with a driver. 

3. I'm not looking for this printer to be AirPrint compatible. It wasn't before and I was ok with just using it via USB. 

HP Recommended

@Chlebek20

I understand your concern and I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/First-Time-Here-Learn-How-to-Post-and-More/How-To-Send-A-Private-Messa...

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yup, I had the same problem.  I was fine just using it via USB.  I never used the airport function.  Please let me know if HP gives you any update.

HP Recommended

@kumar0307, could you have somebody contact me as well.  I am also having the same issue.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Let's try installing below drivers:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/ASU/HewlettPac...

Download the file to your Mac, right-click (Or CTRL + Left Click) and select Open, then complete the installation wizard.

Power on the printer and ensure it is connected, then open System Preferences > Printers & Scanners and press the plus sign.

Select your printer, then select the printer model within the Use drop-down menu and press the Add button, then try printing.

Shlomi

HP Recommended

Hi Shlomi,

Thanks for responding.  I tried that, and it didn't work.  Below is a screenshot of the message I got.

amihaiuriel_0-1607535917389.png

I'm guessing it's because I'm trying to do it on my new MacBook Pro with an M1 chip.

HP Recommended

Hi @amihaiuriel ,

The screenshot included above is from the HP Easy Scan application, not from the PKG file included in my previous post, please restart your Mac, then right-click and select Open on HewlettPackardPrinterDrivers.pkg from your Download folder (or from any other folder as was saved by your browser).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.