Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP CP1025 color
macOS 10.14 Mojave

Keep getting "filter failed" message – tried deleting and re-installing the printer in system, but with no luck.... Is the driver for this printer – HP Laserjet CP1025 color – simply not compatible with the latest versions of mac OS?

43 REPLIES 43
HP Recommended

@Hschj

Welcome to HP Support Forums. A really great platform for posting all your questions and finding solutions.

I have gone through your Post and I would like to help

Ensure your Mac has all the latest updates. Please refer to this Link: https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201541

Also check if there are any latest updates for your printer. Click this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02919168

Since you have already tried Re-adding the printer, I suggest we Reset the Printing System and Re-Add the Printer

Note: Resetting the printing system removes all printers and scanners from the printers queue and clears all print jobs and print settings from the system, including printers and scanners that are not from HP. 

1. Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences.

2. Click Printers & Scanners, Print & Scan, or Print & Fax.

3. Right-click (or Control + click) anywhere inside the Printers window, and then click Reset printing system.

Figure : Clicking Reset printing system

Image: Click Reset printing system
  4. Click Reset or OK.

5. If prompted, type your username and password, and then click OK.

The printing system resets.

6. Turn off the printer, wait 5 seconds, and then turn on the printer.

7. Wait until the printer is idle and silent.

8. In the Printers window on the Mac, click the Add button .

9. Select your printer from the list, and then click Add.

It might take a few seconds before your printer displays in the Printers list.

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you and have a wonderful weekend 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I followed this exactly, and my printer still doesn't work.

HP Recommended

@SharTomRob

A warm welcome to HP forums! This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

I understand you are not able to print from Mac due to the error "filter failed" and I'll be glad to help you out. However, for an accurate solution, I would need more details:

Are you using a HP Color laserjet CP1025 or HP Color laserjet CP1025nw?

How is the printer connected, USB cable or Ethernet?

Let me know!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks, but unfortunately it didn't work. I cleared the system, all the printers were deleted, but when I connected the printer and tried to add it, there was a problem: the printer appeared, I highlighted and chose it, but it was added as a scanner instead of as a printer. I tried many times, also trying out the other driver-possibilities (like HP cp1025 color nw, even though my printer is the HP cp1025 color), but it always got added as a scanner, and when I tried to print out documents from Pages, it said "no printer is selected", and the list of printers in the print-out window was empty.

Also: when I tried to add the printer, it first didn't show. I had to turn the printer off and on again. Then it appeared as a choice. But unless I added it quickly (especially when going through the list of driver-alternatives when the proposed one didn't work), it again disappeared, and I had to turn the printer off and on again for it to appear...

HP Recommended

Hi senan6806, it says HP CP1025 Color on the front of the printer. I connect by USB-cable.

HP Recommended

@Hschj

Let's try removing the printer using HP Easy Start uninstaller and re-adding the printer driver. Here is how to do it:

1.) Go to 123.hp.com/setup, and then click Download.

2.) After the software downloads, open HP Easy Start.

3.) Click File, and then select Uninstall HP Software... from the menu.

Select Uninstall HP Software...

4.) Read any warnings that display, and then click Continue.

5.) When prompted, type your administrator user name and password.

6.) HP Uninstaller removes all HP printer software previously installed.

7.) If you are reinstalling the HP printer software, click Set Up New Device, and then follow the instructions to install the printer with HP EasyStart.

Once the software and driver is removed, use the steps below to add a compatible driver:

1.) Download and install HP Printer Drivers v5.1 for OS X from here.

2.) Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.

3.) Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, If your printer is listed, click the printer name, click the minus sign  to delete the printer.

4.) If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button  at the bottom of the list.

5.) Click the plus sign , click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name.

6.) Click the Use or Print Using menu, select the name of your printer in the pop-up menu. Then click Add.

7.) Try to print and scan.

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am getting this same error. Oddly enough, when my husband plugs in his Linux-based laptop, it prints just fine.

I am on Mac OS 10.14.3, and currently connected to the printer via USB. The issues started before all of this, but my husband did a factory reset, and at least was able to get a computer to connect to and print something.

Now we keep getting the 'filter failed' error when I try to print from my comptuer. I tried to follow your instructions, downloading the HP Easy Start app, but as you can see, it won't even allow me to 'Uninstall HP Software'. That option is grayed out.

Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 09.27.38.png

I did all the other steps below, downloaded the special drivers, deleted and readded the printer. Everything. It still gives 'filter failed' and continues to complain that the ink cartridges are not genuine, even though I know for a fact that they are.

This all started suddenly one day when my iMac running OS Sierra was sending a print job to the printer. I left it to run the job, came back an hour later, and the queue said it was printing even though nothing was coming out. Thinking it might be a problem with the wireless card in the printer, we tried connecting by USB. My computer wouldn't see the printer at all. Thinking it was a problem with my computer, we started trouble-shooting with the other computers in the house running various versions of Linux. All with varying connection results - either not seeing the printer at all, or saying it was sending the job and/or printing but nothing was ever printed. I decommissioned the printer for awhile, unplugged it and put it on a shelf for a few weeks, and then my husband had the idea of doing a factory reset.

Now, he can connect his Linux laptop via USB and connect and print just fine, but if the printer is connected to my computer, even if I have 'printer sharing' on, no computer can print to that printer, and it either gives the 'filter failed' error or says it cannot connect to the printer.

What's the deal?? Seeing as I have reinstalled the drivers what feels like a million times, and the 'uninstall' option on the HP Easy Start app is not available to me, what other recourse do I have??

HP Recommended

I am on Mac OS 10.14.3 and have the sam problem. Can't print due to fliter error problem. Tried both using USB and AIrport.

HP Recommended

@Pavel20, Welcome to HP Support Community!

To be able to provide you with an accurate solution, I would need the following details:

1) Which printer are you using?

Let’s try to reset the printing system, which will fix these types of issues almost always. Follow the step below and check:

• Click the Apple menu icon, and then click “System Preferences”.
  • Click “Printers and Scanner” / “Print and Scan” or “Print and Fax”.
  • Right-click the blank space in the Printers list, and then click “Reset printing system”.
  • Click “Reset” in the confirmation window.
  • Enter an administrator username and password, and then click “OK”.
  • Wait until the printing system is reset and no devices show in the Printers list
  • Restart your computer and then go back to System preferences – Printers and scanners.
  • Click the “Add button” (+).
  • Find, and then select the name of your printer from the printer list, and then click “Add” to add your printer.
  • Click “Print Using...”, and then select the name of your printer (By default “Airprint” would be selected)

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

Cheers 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.