Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4527
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Lenovo X201 - Windows 10 (64 Prof) was working with HP Envy 4527 (network) without issues. Had to re-install Windows 10. Now laptop will only print monochrome, even if colour selected. Also. Envy 4527 is duplex, and laptop no longer recognises this. I can only print in duplex manually. I have followed full HP procedure to delete the printer from the laptop, remove from registry and reload etc. to no avail. Test prints work OK, but not PDF files, Word (with colour) or emails.

My MacIntosh works perfectly with the printer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Ian_M98FR

I'd suggest you try adding the printer using the IP address, this should help -

1. Select “Start” and type “printers” in the search box.
2. Choose “Printers & scanners“.
3. Select “Add a printer or scanner“.
4. Wait for the “The printer that I want isn’t listed” option to appear, then select it.
5. Select “Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname” , then select “Next“.
6. Select “TCP/IP Device” in the “Device type” list.
7. Type the hostname or the IP address of the printer. Select “Next“. To find the IP address of the printer, touch the Wi-Fi icon on the printer's control panel. 
8. Windows should find the printer if the printer is on and configured correctly. You may have to specify more information. If prompted, Select the type of network adapter installed in the printer in the “Device Type” drop-down list. You can also click “Custom” to specify custom settings for the network printer. Select “Next“.  

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@mg190plus,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

Let's try these steps here: 

• Go to Control panel – Devices and printer.
  • Right-click on HP Envy 4527 printer or HP Envy 4520 Printer series and select “Printer properties”.
  • Select the “Device settings” tab.
  • Ensure that the “Duplex unit” is set to “Installed” rather than “Not installed” and save the settings.
  • Now again give a right-click on the printer icon and select “Printing preferences”.
  • If a "Printing shortcuts" tab is available, select the "Print on Both Sides" or "Two-sided (Duplex) Printing" option.
  • If “Printing shortcut” is not available, click the “Layout”, “Features”, or “Finishing tab”, depending on which tab displays in your driver version.
  • Locate the "Print on Both Sides" or "Two-sided printing" menu or option, then select the binding or page flip option depending on if you want the document to read like a booklet or a tablet and save the settings.

If the settings are correct and still having the issue. I would suggest the next option would be to uninstall the printer from the root level and then reinstall it by following the steps below: 

• Press “Windows key” + “r” to get the “Run” window.
  • Type "services.msc" to get Services – Go to “Print spooler” – Right-click and “Stop” the service.
  • Now again open "Run" - Type “spool” and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
  • Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
  • Now check for issue resolution.
  • If the issue persists, also try clean installing the printer drivers. Here are the steps:
  • First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Envy printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Please click here to download and install the software.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

Those steps should do the trick, let me know the outcome!

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Lenovo Yoga 530 Laptop/Windows 10 Home

HP Envy 4527 All In One Printer

I have the same problem that my Printer will not print in Duplex automatically from the Lenovo Laptop, and only prints in Monochrome, as the laptop is printing via the network. (I dont have this problem printing from my MacBook Pro.)

I have followed the instructions given to uninstall everything and restart, re-install, and reset all the settings on three seperate occasions now, yet the problem persists. 

USB printing for the Lenovo is not an option as the Printer is on a shelf nowhere near to where we use our laptops. 

HP Recommended

@Ian_M98FR

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's try to do a root uninstall and reinstall of the software:

Unplug any USB cable, if any, before doing this.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between "printui.exe" and "/s")

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo

14.) Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

15.) Restart the computer.

Once done, please download and install the software from here:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes, I did all that. Twice. And it still doesn't work. 

HP Recommended

Hi @Ian_M98FR

Thanks for replying. Remove the printer driver and try adding the printer using the IP address -

1. Select “Start” and type “printers” in the search box.
4. Wait for the “The printer that I want isn’t listed” option to appear, then select it.
5. Select “Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname” , then select “Next“.
7. Type the hostname or the IP address of the printer. Select “Next“. To find the IP address of the printer, touch the Wi-Fi icon on the printer's control panel. 
8. Windows should find the printer if the printer is on and configured correctly. You may have to specify more information. If prompted, Select the type of network adapter installed in the printer in the “Device Type” drop-down list. You can also click “Custom” to specify custom settings for the network printer. Select “Next“.

Also, try updating the printer's firmware - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

Let me know how that goes 🙂 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hullo

I have seen a couple more posts on this issue with other folk and it is clearly a Windows 10 problem. I suspect a dreaded Windows  update, because I recall both my Lenovos were fine before an update.  I had to re-install Windows 10 on my small Lenovo MiiX recently, so this tends to confirm it is a new version of Windows 10 is the issue.

In addition to my ancient Lenovo X201 for which I wrote the original post, the same problem (not printing in duplex or in colour (using wifi) also applies to a much newer Lenovo MiiX 320 (Windows 10 64 home) which had Windows 10 from new. If I connect a USB cable, then colour printing and duplex returns on both machines. Others seem to have tried and have not yet succeeded.

I am not IT savvy enough to carry out major testing or re-installation of the software, but clearly HP needs get to see what changes have been made to Windows 10 which is causing this problem

As I said before the MAC that I have prints perfectly well in colour and duplex via wifi.

HP Recommended

Hi @Ian_M98FR

I'd suggest you try adding the printer using the IP address, this should help -

1. Select “Start” and type “printers” in the search box.
7. Type the hostname or the IP address of the printer. Select “Next“. To find the IP address of the printer, touch the Wi-Fi icon on the printer's control panel. 
8. Windows should find the printer if the printer is on and configured correctly. You may have to specify more information. If prompted, Select the type of network adapter installed in the printer in the “Device Type” drop-down list. You can also click “Custom” to specify custom settings for the network printer. Select “Next“.  

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Many thanks. I actually have a new HP laptop which had the same problems printing - doubly frustrating! Reading and learning from the posts here I discovered following the steps you provided I managed to change the port for my printer only needing its IP address for input. I was then able in the settings tab switch on "automatic config" for the purpose of setting "Auto dup;exing" and then regained colour and two sided copying which I had previoiusly enjoyed from my old lap top and current printer.

I am very happy with my new HP laptop (now) and HP printer. A good combination I thimk I will enjoy for some time.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction and saving my sanity after trobleshooters and fresh drivers etc did not resolve my problem

HP Recommended

@Wynaptref

I'm glad to hear that and you're most welcome. Do get back to us in the future for further assistance.

Have a nice day!:)

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.