Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Color Laser Jet Pro MFP m281cdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The latest firmware update has created a Supply Error condition where my printer is now unusable. I would like to roll back the firmware version to the previous one. Are there old firmware versions archived somewhere ? 

My current Firmware is 20200612

67 REPLIES 67
HP Recommended

I have the same issue - 5.11.20 – pressed firmware update on display of printer HP Colour Laser Jet Pro MFP M280nw

Now have error message Supply problem

Apparently new firmware has locked out 3rd party tonners

Spoke to HP technical and they tried to reset the printer but it has not rolled back the firmware

Very annoying as only other suggestion to get printing was to buy a full set on genuie toners!

Kind of stinks that during a pandemic HP have made a conscious decision to lock out all customers printers if they didn’t really think about pressing the update. There was certainly no warning that the new firmware would render the printer useless without spending £100’s

HP Recommended

PJ2R, 

I went to the printer support page and downloaded the firmware and installer listed there. 

It was for 20200612. The firmware  version that was giving me the Supply error was 20201021. 

I reloaded the 20200612 and I am back in business. I have turned off automatic updates on the printer.

HP Recommended

Same here.  Keeps saying "printer 79 service error" on the printer panel.

HP Recommended

Hi Taibir, 

Thanks for the reply and I've now done teh same and back in bussiness 🙂

Strange that HP technical on the phone today could not sort it - think it proves that it is clearly a decision that they made to lock out compatible toners – lowest of the low when small business are struggling to survive and can’t afford £250 on a set of inks!

HP Recommended

can you send it to me they have removed it Hotdeals@cox.net

HP Recommended

Yesterday after spending more than an hour on the phone and handed the control of my PC to a HP tech support, he finally was able to wipe the newer firmware (I believe 20201016)  from the memory and restored back to 20200612.  After that it's back to working order again.

HP Recommended

glad you got it sorted.  luckly your HP technical person was better than the one that I spoke too - all she coudl offer was to try and factory reset the printer that did not roll back the firmware. I manged to sort it myself with the help of thsi group and have now raised a complaint with HP.  Poor show considering we are in a pandemic and they are effectively locking out working printers 

HP Recommended

For M281cdw, the only firmware available is the bad one 20201021. How were you able to download the previous update. Thanks

They've been sued for this multiple times over the years for doing this. No notification that the firmware will disable third party toner, which means when you also purchased the printer, you were also not informed third party toner would not work. You think a company barely hanging on to survive would learn that no one is going to pay 10x the price for HP toner. And now no one is going to buy an HP printer again. 

HP Recommended

They removed the download for HP_LaserJet_Pro_M280_M281_Printer_series_20200612

If you have it, please link it here. thank you!  HP is so underhanded, never again buying one of their printers.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.