Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Example: HP OfficeJet Pro 8720
macOS 10.15 Catalina

When I print, the following message posts:

"Matterhorn.framework" will damage your computer. Report malware to Apple to protect other users. 

I deleted the file and dropped it in the trash. Then went to the HP website and updated my software through the Apple Store. I still get an error message.

Apple Support has seen issues with HP on Catalina 10.15.7 software and redirected my inquiry to HP. 

Am I seeing a known issue that will not harm my computer? OR Am I seeing a malware issue I should be concerned about? 

This is a new issue as of 10.23.2020

115 REPLIES 115
HP Recommended

Same problem. At first both my printers stopped working, though I was able to print from my iPhone. The Apple style warning message cannot be closed or banished from the screen. 

Screenshot 2020-10-23 at 20.25.42.png

HP Recommended

It really looks like who are experiencing this issue are running older software signed with a certificate that expired today.

Please update your software using HP Easy Start as mentioned above. 

1. Download HP Easy Start

2. Follow the prompts for setting up your printer.  When you get to the software download it will show whether the software needs updated or not.  If it does the box next to Printer Essentials will be checked by default and you just need to select the Install button.

The following should not be necessary but if you want to be extra diligent and guarantee a clean new install.

1. Download HP Easy Start

2. Open HP Easy Start and Select the HP Easy Start Menu in the macOS menu bar.  In this menu select Uninstall HP Software.

Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 2.04.26 PM.png

3.Select Continue to start the Uninstall process

Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 2.04.40 PM.png

4. Once the uninstall completes.  Select Set Up New Device.

5. Go through the new device setup process by following the prompts.

6. This will lead to the software download/install prompt.

Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 2.08.35 PM.png

7. Select install and the remaining prompts to finish the process.

Edit:  Systems administrators and those unable to use HP Easy Start can use HP Easy Admin to download the software pkg files directly.

While I may work for HP Inc, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.
HP Recommended

Yeah. Did this and got another error message that frameworks would damage the computer. Didn't get a chance to open easy start to uninstall.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, the uninstall option is and remains grayed out.

HP Recommended

It printed the test page but I still get the malware messages. Multiple malware messages. I picked a random file. It printed but again I got the malware messages. Oh, and now it says I have an InstantInk problem which is where I started my journey down the rabbit hole this morning.

HP Recommended

It says all my software is up to date but I too am getting the matterhorn.framework will damage my computer message.  The printer is printing just fine but will it really damage my computer?

HP Recommended

It will not damage your computer.  The issue has to do with a certificate that is used to sign the software.  Apple pushed a security update that revoked the authorization of the certificate used to sign the software.  HP is currently working to get this resolved as quickly as possible.  Unfortunately, if your software is currently up to date you may need to just ignore the message until the issue is resolved.

If your printer supports AirPrint then you can actually just use that to print versus the HP driver.  This will avoid the message when you print.

Here is a document that walks through that process.

While I may work for HP Inc, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.
HP Recommended

Yeah, did all that and still get the Printer Paused message/one or more components may be corrupt

HP Recommended

Same problem, but with other CUPS and FILTERS files reported.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.