Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit)

I have a friend that just got an OfficeJet 8710 printer and is having issues installing the software.

She has an HP computer (listed as p6110y), Vista Home Prem 64bit w/SP2

When we attempt to install the software from the CD is states that the OS is not supported. I went to the HP site and it detected running on Vista and downloaded the webpack_OJ8710_1881.

Ran it and the same error, OS not supported. Attempted running it As Administrator, same. Went into the temp folder to run the installer directly, same. Uninstalled the old 8600 printer, rebooted, tried installing, same error.

Printer is wireless and *not* connected USB.

What else can we try?

Thanks in advance,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

I suggest contacting the retailer and replacing the printer with a different model, the 8710 is incompatible with Vista 64-bit

You may find the product specifications below:

Minimum system requirements
Windows Vista: (32-bit only)
http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/printers/hp-officejet-pro-8710-all-in-one-printer-m9l66a-b1h

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hi,

I suggest contacting the retailer and replacing the printer with a different model, the 8710 is incompatible with Vista 64-bit

You may find the product specifications below:

Minimum system requirements
Windows Vista: (32-bit only)
http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/printers/hp-officejet-pro-8710-all-in-one-printer-m9l66a-b1h

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks, should have looked for that.

HP Recommended

Please note that Microsoft has offically end mainstream support for Vista in April 2012;  Here the link to Microsoft offical lifecycle wedsite for your reference  : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

You may want to consider upgrade the OS to the latest to take adventage for other printing features, and application in the market.

Although I am HP Employee
I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Please click the Thumbs up icon below if the information is helpful !
HP Recommended

Hi Costas,

Good day, i have an alternative solution to your issue. We have driver for WIN Vista for 32bits.

To check if your WIN Vista is 32- or 64bits with 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03666764 

then you can install

WIN Vista 32bits:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/OJ8710/OJ8710_Basicx86_1881.exe

Although I am HP Employee andI am speaking for myself
>> "Marking" this as RESOLVE, If my post help RESOLVE your issue and help others
>> Click THUMB UP icon if you appreciate the "REPLY"
HP Recommended

MESSAGE not compatible and, or ERROR 0X00000643 

Windows VISTA 64 Bit (NOT 32 bit)  OS

Officejet 8710 

Printer is 100% on all tests regarding connection to my wireless router, set-up OK

My Laptop OS VISTA 64 Bit will not install the software & printer drivers.

Thank you for any help. I downloaded a version of Vista 32 Bit but no luck?  

HP Recommended

Hi DMLINFLA,

The Win Vista 64bits is not supported but 32bits. There are options and temporary workaround belwo you can refer to.

1. Update your OS.

2. Workaround with below steps.

For Printing

Step 1: Obtain printer IP

Connect printer to network >> Go to Ethernet summary >> IP address (eg 15.213.217.101)

STep 2: Manually install window available driver

Go to "Start" button >> Devices and Printers >> Add Printer >> Add local printer >> "Create a new port" (select >> Standard TCP\IP port) >> "Hostname or IP address" key your printer IP address eg 15.213.217.101 >> Choose driver from "HP manufacturer" + any Officejet pro 8xxxx series >> next to key in printer name >> Do not share this printer >> Printer a test page.

Step 3: Confirm setup with test page

If test page able to be printed, then it should be a nice temporary solutions.

For Scanning

Open any web browser, key in the printer IP address eg 15.213.217.101

Go to Scan and perform "Scan to Computer" here.

Hope this help.

>> "Marking" this as RESOLVE, If my post help RESOLVE your issue and help others
HP Recommended
Thank you. It looked like your instructions to remedy the printer problem worked but after installing drivers from 8620 for the 8710 it wouldn't test print. I do appreciate the advice
HP Recommended
Sorry to hear that it didoesn't turn into a solution for you.
But the test page just to ensure you can print from any of the print job you can send from your PC.
HP Recommended

This worked for me using Windows Vista 64bit

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.