Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 9015 All-in-One Printer
macOS 12.0 Monterey

HP Officejet Pro 9015 download unsuccessful.  I can cancel and it will restart and work for awhile and will then try to update the firmware again.  Then it will fail on the download again.  I tried solutions I could find online, none work.  Set ip address manually, changed dns to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4  Reset printer by unplugging and waiting 60 seconds and restarting.  Again it will try to download, actually shows it is downloading, gets to 100% but then message says it failed.  If I click retry then it just sits there at 0% and never tries again.  Started on 8/15/23  I have a Mac os Ventura 13.4.1

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

I found a similar issue in 2021 that might help some of you.  Looks like the original poster already tried this though.  My printer is used with a company computer that has so many locks on it that I can't do much to try to solve this on my own.  Hope it helps someone.  

Solved: My printer update could not be downloaded - HP Support Community - 8053142

HP Recommended

Already tried all those steps and it did not work

HP Recommended

Thank you. I have the same problem, I can't resolve myself because of my company's locks. I will unfortunately have to refer to our help desk.

HP Recommended

The following workaround may have worked for me, although message at top of the screen says if you disable printer updates that instant ink may not work.  So not sure this is a good solution, but I am giving it a try.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Setup-Software-Drivers/Workaround-for-failing-firmware-updates...

HP Recommended

My Company IT suggested disabling the updates, but I wasn't able to do it from the device itself.  It said it was locked by the person who set the printer up, which doesn't make sense because that was me.  I read what you linked, but I didn't know what they were referring to by "HP Smart application."  Playing around with the HP Printer Assistant hasn't been helpful.  

HP Recommended

Hello!  
I just spent 2 hour 43 minutes and 23 seconds on the phone with a gentleman from Support and after much work he was able to direct me on how to correct this problem (I hope). It DOES appear that the issue is gone. 

1. Open the  HP Smart program (download the program if you don't already have it, start here https://123.hp.com/us/en/ )  Your printer must be ONLINE as shown in the picture below

RickEZ_0-1692294734849.png

2.  Click on Printer Settings (bottom left)

3 . Advanced Settings (Left side menu- under SETTINGS)

RickEZ_3-1692296459032.png

4. Settings (far right of grey Horizontal Menu) (pictured below)

5.  Security (pictured below)

6. Administrator Settings (pictured below)

RickEZ_1-1692295046880.png

7. Scroll to the very bottom of the list of settings

RickEZ_2-1692295510231.png

8. UNCLICK ALL FIRMWARE UPDATES

9. APPLY

That's It!!  You shouldn't have to worry about this problem again!

HP Recommended

If you know the ip address of the printer, type it in the url of a browser.  If it lets you in, then start at #4 on RICKEZ comment to complete.

HP Recommended

thanks! seems to be okay now

HP Recommended

While this is a work around, and I agree that it does take you out of the endless loop(I just had to do it on mine), it doesn't resolve the issue of not being able to do a firmware update to the device. Perhaps this is  HP's way of saying that firmware updates aren't supported for this model anymore. A question for any HP techs reading this. There's a USB port on the side of the printer, so was there ever an option to download an update onto a flash drive, and install it via that USB port?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.