Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Color LaserJet Pro M252 printer attached to my Windows 10 Pro laptop. Recently, HP Print Scan Doctor has started waking my computer from hibernation in order to run the Printer Health Monitor. I don't want my computer waking without my knowledge, so I unchecked the "Wake the computer to run this task" option in Task Scheduler. This seemed to work for a few days, but then the option somehow got re-checked and it's back to waking my computer again.

This behavior is unacceptable. It took me quite a while to figure out what was going on and I suspected that I must have an undetected virus or something. This software should respect my choice not to have it wake my computer, or at the very least return it to it's previous hibernated state when it's finished. My printer is seldom turned on, so I can't imagine that the diagnostic is even accomplishing anything.

Is there a way to have this software run on demand only, or is it OK to uninstall or disable it? If so, how?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

If that is the only problem, then HP Print Scan Doctor uninstall!

I'm not an employee of HP, I'm as volunteer here.

Inquiries via private messages (PM) cannot be answered.
HP Recommended

I didn't even know I had Print Scan Doctor until this problem suddenly turned up and I have no idea what it does or how to access it. How would I uninstall it and what would be the consequences of doing so?

HP Recommended

I am shocked that after half a decade of people digging in to find this task which runs HPPrintScanDoctor on a regular daily time which is set to Wake the computer to run this task, HP has done nothing but ask people to uninstall and reinstall the very things that set up the task.

You could:

• Delete the task in Task Scheduler, but it gets set up again

• Disable the task in Task Scheduler, but it gets re-enabled

• Disallow the "Wake the computer to run this task" option of the task, but it gets allowed again

• HP Print Scan Doctor, at irregular update intervals, sets up the daily timer task to wake the machine to run itself daily; even if the task is deleted, disabled or set to not wake the machine.

• Delete HPPrintScanDoctor from C:\ProgramFiles\HP and in a month or two find it gets reinstalled.

• It seems from updates to HP Smart from the Windows App Store

The removal and reinstallation of HP drivers just removes the task until the next time one of the installed HP files decides to set the task as a daily timer again.

The real fix, the one that requires HP's attention and not customer's bumbling about with poor support, is for someone to change the way the program sets up this, and all tasks, such that they DO NOT WAKE THE MACHINE TO RUN THIS TASK. Ideally Windows could allow admin users to disallow ALL tasks from having this setting active, by default.

My desktop is set to sleep after 8 hours, because I expect to command it to sleep; When it wakes from this task and I come home to find it running for nothing (the printer, by the way, is totally stand alone and wifi enabled, and doesn't really get any attention from Print Scan Doctor); well my room is hot and my hardware is wearing down for nothing.

My laptop is even worse, in that sometimes it's turned on and running hot while in a sleeve inside a backpack. That might lead to real damage to my property. For a printer that's not even on the network the laptop is on when on the go.

HP Print Scan Doctor Task AUTO Misconfigured Days Screenshot 2024-03-15 174548.png
HP Recommended

Totally agree here.  This program is interrupting my workday and unnecessarily heating up the hardware in a way that could even break it.  HP please fix this or tell me how to get rid of this program without it reinstalling itself.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.