Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 5000 Series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just replaced my epson printer with the HP Envy 5055.  I had been printing my business cards using  Avery 28878 (10 cards per page) clean edge sheets with no problem on the epson.  With the HP,  on the Avery 28878 paper, the printing starts at 0.25 inch from the top edge.  When I print it on plain white letter paper, it starts at 0.5 inch from the top like it is supposed to.  I have used up ALL of my Avery 28878 business card paper and have 4 sheets of cards that have the top of the card printed on the bottom of the business cards above.  I tried checking the box for PDF paper, but it doesn't make any difference.  I printed it on plain paper and it was fine so I put in the Avery card stock and it still printed high.  Any ideas?  I will have to order more card stock before I can attempt to print more business cards.  Also, I just printed it on 65lb card stock and it printed where it's supposed to.  Why would it only print wrong on the business card paper?  I am a home user, not a professional.  In other words, keep it simple, please! 

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@faith552,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support community!

• Are you using MS Word or any other application to print business cards?
  • Are you selecting 'Avery 28878 clean edge' on the application you are printing from?

Here is how you can select the correct settings:

• Open MS word
  • Go to Mailings  > Labels > select Options

• Select the Label vendors drop-down and select Avery US Letter
  • Under the Product Number, select 28878 Clean Edge Business cards and click OK.

• You can verify the margin settings by clicking on the Details button.

• If you have selected the correct settings, try printing
  • If the issue persists, try to change the margin settings under the Details button and print.

Let me know if this information helps. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “KudosThumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping.

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Here’s just a couple of thoughts although I’m not familiar either with the particular printer or Avery card stock you mention. But I did have my own problems printing on Avery business card stock. The advice is, first, to use Avery Design & Print to create the card template. The second is to only have one sheet of the Avery card stock in the printer at a time.

HP Recommended

ProfGadget
Thanks for your reply. What I failed to mention is that I went to the Avery website and did use one of the many templates they have to design my own business cards. Then when I am ready to print, the sheet of cards appears on an Adobe PDF.
In the PDF document, there is a choice to convert to MS Word, but then you have to pay a monthly fee to use that function. Nope. I have been using only one sheet at a time (until I ran out).

HP Recommended

Atharva_gp

Thanks for all the effort you put in to give me a clear answer, but I failed to mention the document I'm working with is an Adobe PDF file which I have access to through Adobe Acrobat Reader.  There is a monthly charge to use the PDF editor and file converter functions, which I'm not ready to pay.

The issue is still the same.  When plain paper is used, the cards appear in the right position starting 1/2 inch from the top of the page.  When the Avery card stock is used, it prints starting at 1/4 inch from the top which causes the top of the business card to print on the bottom of the card above it (starting on the 2nd row down of cards).  I don't understand why the different paper would make a difference as to where the printing begins on the page.  I am only using one sheet of the Avery (clean edge) card stock at a time.  And, when I use a 65 lb plain card stock sheet (colored), it also prints correctly.  What does Avery have on it's sheet of cards that isn't on plain paper or plain card stock.  Does the printer have a sensor that is confused?

Thanks

HP Recommended

@faith552,

Let's try to create a custom size paper settings an then try to print. Refer to 'Create custom paper sizes from Devices and Printers' section.

Please refer to this document to create a custom size paper.

Let me know what happens.

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

hi ATHARVA_GP

I went in and started to make a custom size paper and discovered the Avery business card paper is exactly 8.5x11, but I did it anyway.  I tried printing a few times and it still starts the print job about 0.125 (1/8) of an inch too high.  This makes no sense as it prints fine on regular 24# paper and also on 65# card stock.  I believe the Avery business card stock is the same weight as the card stock I have on hand.  This is the weird part.  I am out of the Avery paper so I was testing on the back of the misprinted pages.  I went in and changed the paper back to "letter" and printed on the back of one of the avery sheets and it printed fine.  Go figure.  Makes no sense.  I should be receiving new Avery business card paper in a few days and I'll try it again then and keep my fingers crossed that it still works.  Now, my ink supply is running low!  I don't know if something got changed in the pdf file, but just in case I saved it as a different file which I will use when I get my new paper.

Thanks a bunch for your help.  I'll let you know if I finally get some business cards out of this deal!

HP Recommended

@faith552,

Please keep me posted and let me know if you do need any further assistance.

Cheers!

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.