Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP M428f
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Greetings,  I setup my HP M428f all-in-one-printer recently;  everything works ( print, scan, copy, fax ) with the exception of one thing;  my printing to Fax does not work on one computer.

When I open the "Printers" option for printing a document and look for the  "Fax HP M428f... " option, it is not there.  Normally this option gets created by the installation but on this one machine it got deleted.

I need to know how to create the "Fax HP M428f" printer port | option manually??

By the way,  the print to Fax ( to "Fax HP M428 ..." ) works from my other Windows 10 machines.

Thanks please.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

😁  Thank you so much.

The link for the HP Universal Fax Driver worked fine,  and from there I was able to configure the IP address and port for the "Fax HP M428f M429f ..." and that worked just fine;  again,  thank you.

I should also point out for other readers, and posterity,  that I also had to temporarily disable my wife's VPN connection in order to use the Fax HP M428f  due to a limiting factor in her corporate controlled Windows Defender Firewall  settings !

Thanks again,...  its all good !  😎

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

From the Control Panel select Programs and Features.

Select the HP Basic Device Software for your printer and click on Repair, allow it to complete and the fax will be re-added.

If it fails with any error, uninstall the software and then reinstall it.

Alternatively you may install and use the HP Universal Fax Driver instead, it provides the same capabilities:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-laserjet-pro-mfp-m428-m429-f-series/19...

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

😀Thank you, the 'repair' worked and I have the "Fax HP M428f..." device listed in my document print options!

Now then, I'm back to my original problem:  that device "Fax HP M428f..." gives me an error when trying to print to 'it' that states "Problem connecting to device...  maybe firewall problem...  etc"  

The M428f is a network printer and works for all other computers, both print and fax.  Only one computer has trouble printing to Fax,  but CAN print to paper.

I suspect that I have something setup wrong in the firewall settings of this one machine.  Can you help me figure out why this one computer cannot print to Fax HP M428f ,  please ?

marcus

HP Recommended

Please install and try the HP Universal Fax Driver, does it provide the same results or may it provide different results?

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

I'm wlling to try the HP Universal Fax Driver for Windows,  but I'm pretty sure I'll get the same results...  it doesn't look like a driver problem, but like a firewall problem.

I'll let you know what happens.

marcus

HP Recommended

😁  Thank you so much.

The link for the HP Universal Fax Driver worked fine,  and from there I was able to configure the IP address and port for the "Fax HP M428f M429f ..." and that worked just fine;  again,  thank you.

I should also point out for other readers, and posterity,  that I also had to temporarily disable my wife's VPN connection in order to use the Fax HP M428f  due to a limiting factor in her corporate controlled Windows Defender Firewall  settings !

Thanks again,...  its all good !  😎

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.