cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
marcushh777
Level 1
4 3 1 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Solved!

Print to Fax on M428f

HP Recommended
HP M428f
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Greetings,  I setup my HP M428f all-in-one-printer recently;  everything works ( print, scan, copy, fax ) with the exception of one thing;  my printing to Fax does not work on one computer.

When I open the "Printers" option for printing a document and look for the  "Fax HP M428f... " option, it is not there.  Normally this option gets created by the installation but on this one machine it got deleted.

I need to know how to create the "Fax HP M428f" printer port | option manually??

By the way,  the print to Fax ( to "Fax HP M428 ..." ) works from my other Windows 10 machines.

Thanks please.

5 REPLIES 5
ShlomiL
Level 17
Level 17
31,433 31,144 5,369 12,506
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

From the Control Panel select Programs and Features.

Select the HP Basic Device Software for your printer and click on Repair, allow it to complete and the fax will be re-added.

If it fails with any error, uninstall the software and then reinstall it.

Alternatively you may install and use the HP Universal Fax Driver instead, it provides the same capabilities:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-laserjet-pro-mfp-m428-m429-f-series/19...

Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos thumb up in the post.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
0 Kudos
marcushh777
Author
Level 1
4 3 1 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

😀Thank you, the 'repair' worked and I have the "Fax HP M428f..." device listed in my document print options!

Now then, I'm back to my original problem:  that device "Fax HP M428f..." gives me an error when trying to print to 'it' that states "Problem connecting to device...  maybe firewall problem...  etc"  

The M428f is a network printer and works for all other computers, both print and fax.  Only one computer has trouble printing to Fax,  but CAN print to paper.

I suspect that I have something setup wrong in the firewall settings of this one machine.  Can you help me figure out why this one computer cannot print to Fax HP M428f ,  please ?

marcus

0 Kudos
ShlomiL
Level 17
Level 17
31,433 31,144 5,369 12,506
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Please install and try the HP Universal Fax Driver, does it provide the same results or may it provide different results?

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos thumb up in the post.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
0 Kudos
marcushh777
Author
Level 1
4 3 1 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm wlling to try the HP Universal Fax Driver for Windows,  but I'm pretty sure I'll get the same results...  it doesn't look like a driver problem, but like a firewall problem.

I'll let you know what happens.

marcus

0 Kudos
marcushh777
Author
Level 1
4 3 1 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

😁  Thank you so much.

The link for the HP Universal Fax Driver worked fine,  and from there I was able to configure the IP address and port for the "Fax HP M428f M429f ..." and that worked just fine;  again,  thank you.

I should also point out for other readers, and posterity,  that I also had to temporarily disable my wife's VPN connection in order to use the Fax HP M428f  due to a limiting factor in her corporate controlled Windows Defender Firewall  settings !

Thanks again,...  its all good !  😎

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation