Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have a M283cdw (which is the same as the FDW model sold outside of Costco). After upgrading to Sonoma, the printer stop working. HP Smart recognizes the printer but cannot print to it. (Everything works in Windows 10 so that I know it's not the printer itself). After upgrading to the latest printer firmware (downloaded from the HP website) dated July 2023. Everything seems to be working as they should again in Sonoma. If you have problems with the M283 series and Sonoma, give it a try.

HP Recommended

Yeah, unfortunately you're going to have these problems with HP and macOS.  HP continues to be behind the power curve with new releases of macOS.  This has happened the last several upgrades.  Not sure why, HP get the Beta versions just like everyone else.  Pretty bad and if I weren't already invested in 4-5 HP Enterprise printers I'd go to another printer manufacturer.

The first time I called HP and they placed the blame on Apple but just in case I called Apple and they told me what I already suspected.  HP develops the drivers for macOS that is included in HP Easy Start.  This is HP's full responsibility.

So if you want to avoid these issues in the future you should wait 4-6 months after Apple releases macOS upgrades.  I know you shouldn't have to but that's what's necessary until HP gets its act together.

Shame, shame, shame...

skippy255z

HP Recommended

I have the same issue and had the same response 

HP Recommended

Good points. My experience with Lexmark, Brother and Canon are not that much better. Drivers are almost always behind new OS releases, Mac or Windows. The best solution is to avoid printing all together. I hope printers will soon become obsolete like fax machines along with all the over priced toner schemes. 

HP Recommended

Best solution is to scrap the HP printer and upgrade to an Epson ET inkjet - they work perfectly with macOS and cost way less for ink, and their WiFi networking WORKS.

HP Recommended

I was able to resolve my issue on my own with some more research. I’ve been self employed for 30 plus years working from home. Brother printers are the best by far. Eason comes a distance second and HP is shear junk. Just my take. 

HP Recommended

RESOLVED:  macOS 14 Sonoma.  HP released print drivers  on 31 OCT 2023 for my M751 and M479 printers.  All function fine under Sonoma, but I'm disappointed it took HP this long to update them.  They could have at least sent out an email to those who had registered these printers with HP.

HP Recommended

HI! Were you able to get a driver for the macOS Sonoma? I have the HP Laserjet M110w and it does not work at all. 

HP Recommended

I have two HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus printers, one with Sonoma 14.1.2 and one with Sonoma 14.2.1. The first prints and scans fine. The second will only scan.  I'm ready to buy a new printer to replace with second one but am trying to figure out all the workarounds others had posted here to see if I should try one. Any advice? I am not a techie.

HP Recommended

If you don’t have a specific reason to use inkjet printers, laser is a better solution. Cost less and more reliable in the long run as the toners do not dry up. As far as drivers for the Mac, some models are better than others. You’ll need to do some research. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.