Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
DeskJet Plus Ink Advantage 6476
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Since I bought and installed my HP DeskJet Plus Ink Advantage 6476 in July 2021, HP Smart keeps showing me the following message:

"The printer needs attention. The printer is low on paper. Printing cannot be completed until paper has been loaded."

But the fact is this is not true. The paper tray is loaded with paper of excellent quality and its specs are according to HP recommendations.

Also, the paper tray and the paper wheel pullers are free of debris of any kind.

The message goes away when I open and immediately close the paper tray, but it comes back after just one print job is done. I am suspecting of a damaged paper sensor or a software bug.

My PC runs Windows 10 64 bits latest updates and HP Smart is version 131.1.242.0. The printer is under warranty.

Should I return the printer in order to avoid future worse problems?

What is the cause of this false alarm?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, Echo_Lake,

As I had promised you, here's the update to this issue.

HP replaced the printer quickly (in 5 calendar days) and technical support guided me in removing the old one and installing the replacement, all very courteously and efficiently.

Problem solved. There is no longer the alert message stating that "The printer is low on paper."

Thank you for your help and that of all HP employees involved in this procedure.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Emerson1

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, 

I understand you are getting this error on the printer screen. Paper jams can be real or false. The printer might report a paper jam even when there is no jam.  Let's try these steps to resolve the issue: 

1. Automatically clear the jam
  2. Clear jammed paper from the printer
  3. Reset the printer
  4. Service the printer

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, Echo_Lake.

Thanks for your quick replay and forgive me for my delay.

I would like to make some points clearer, as you might have misunderstood the real issue:

1. I´m not “getting this error on the printer screen” as you stated, because the printer HP DeskJet Plus Ink Advantage 6476 doesn´t have a screen (or display). I am getting this warning via the HP Smart app on my Windows 10 Pro computer.
  2. The issue is not about “Paper jams” as you stated. It is about a “printer is low on paper” warning via the HP Smart App, as I mentioned. I understand they are very different issues.
  3. The link you´ve mentioned is specific for a “E4 (Paper jam) error”, as stated on the very first paragraph of that link, pasted here: “During a print job, the printer stops feeding pages, the Edge lighting glows amber, an E4 error displays, and a notification displays on the HP Smart app. When you click the notification, a Paper Jam error message displays.”
  4. The situation described on the item (3) above doesn´t apply to my issue, because my printer doesn´t stop feeding pages, the Edge lighting doesn´t glow amber, an E4 error doesn´t display and a Paper Jam error message doesn’t display.
  5. Matter in fact, my printer keeps printing normally, but a message "The printer needs attention” shows up on the HP Smart app as soon as I open the app. Then, when I click on that message, a new one appears, saying “The printer is low on paper. Printing cannot be completed until paper has been loaded." There are no options on actions about this message and clicking on it doesn´t do anything. If I don´t do anything, the printer keeps printing normally. If I just open and immediately close the input-tray the message goes away but comes back after the next printing job, and the printer still printing normally.
  6. The input tray is loaded with A4 size paper of superior quality.
  7. I can’t think of other reasons for this issue besides a damaged paper sensor or an HP Smart software bug and didn’t find any solution for this over the HP Community or the internet.
  8. I´m afraid I must return my printer, which still under warranty.

Any further thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

@5SD79A

Thank you for remaining patient.

Let's try these steps to resolve the issue: 
Reset the printer: 

1. If your printer has a rechargeable battery, remove it.

2. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer.

3. Unplug the power cord from the power source.

4. Wait 60 seconds.

5. Reconnect the power cord to a wall outlet and to the printer.

NOTE: HP recommends plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.
  6. Turn on the printer to complete the reset. If the issue persists, follow the next steps.

Check the paper stack for defects such as wrinkled, torn, or bent pieces that might cause a pick-up issue.

1. Remove any paper from the paper tray.

2. Remove any severely bent, wrinkled, or torn paper found in the stack.

3. Check for obstructions inside the paper tray. Make sure nothing blocks the paper from engaging with the rollers.

4. Make sure the paper stack is even on all sides.

5. Load the stack of paper into the paper tray.

Examples of loading paper

6. Close or push in the paper tray.

7. Select the correct paper size on the printer control panel or in the printer software.

If the issue persists, service or replace your HP product. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, Echo_Lake,
I tried all the steps you suggested and, unfortunately, none of them solved the problem.
I contacted the HP Support team and we performed several other procedures, including uninstalling HP Smart, removing the device in Windows Devices and Printers, reinstalling HP Smart, and installing the full driver package. None of them managed to eliminate the problem.
The problem was escalated to a higher level and HP Engineering today concluded that the printer should be replaced.
At this point, I am awaiting replacement, which should take place within 10 to 20 days, as advised by the very helpful HP agent.
I am very grateful for the attention you have given me.
Thanks.

HP Recommended

@Emerson1
Thank you for posting back. 

I appreciate your effort! I am glad to know that you managed to resolve the issue. Please reach out again for any further assistance.

Have a nice day ahead. 
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Echo_Lake

Thanks.

As you said before, "If the issue persists, service or replace your HP product."
Replacement was the solution, as stated by HP.

I will let you know if the replacement worked properly when I get and install the new printer (maybe up to November 10, according to HP).

Take care.

HP Recommended

@Emerson1

Work on it at your convenience and keep me posted on the results.

Have a great day! 

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, Echo_Lake,

As I had promised you, here's the update to this issue.

HP replaced the printer quickly (in 5 calendar days) and technical support guided me in removing the old one and installing the replacement, all very courteously and efficiently.

Problem solved. There is no longer the alert message stating that "The printer is low on paper."

Thank you for your help and that of all HP employees involved in this procedure.

HP Recommended

@Emerson1

I am glad to know that you managed to resolve the issue. Please reach out again for any further assistance.

Have a nice day ahead.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.