Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about cartridges, Click here to check it out!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Smart Tank 515 Wireless All-in-One

I have been having problems with HP Smart Tank 515 when it comes to scanning through HP SMART App.  

The HP Smart app continues to provide me with a "cannot connect with scanner" error message, in spite of having tried almost everything to resolve the problem.

Ironically, Print scan doctor v5.7.2 works in identify the problem and when this is run it give me the change to "Scan test" successfully.   However, when Scan doctor is finished it does not seem to affect what HP SMART app info contains.  Since in spite of all the closing off and on several times both from the printer and HP probook laptop I have the problem remains uncleared for HP Smart app.     Hence, why does the work done by scan doctor v5.7.2 is not recognised by HP Smart app????

This problem persists to this very day and the only way I can use the PRINTER SCANNER is either by re-running Scan doctor v5.7.2 or have to use a microsoft application which is not entirely comapatlble the functionality of the printer.

So a BIG QUESTION GOES TO HP SUPPORT TO ADDRESS THE PROBLEM WHICH RENDERS SUCH A POWERFUL EQUIPMENT ALMOST USELESS.

if THERE ANY OTHER NEW DEVELOPMENT KINDLY RESPOND TO MY EXCHANGE.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

The full feature software for your printer:  515 April 2024

After installing the full feature driver package, click the windows key and select all apps and find HP.

Look for HP Scan.

BeemerBiker_0-1718985486517.png

If HP scan is not present then use HP Smart.
get HP Smart from the microsoft store if needed.  You may have an old version.

You will have to sign into HP Smart using your HP account.

To put HP Smart (or HP Scan) on the desktop:

For Windows 10, click Start. For Windows 11, click Start and click All apps This will show (see above) a list of all apps you have installed in Windows. Find the target app from the list, drag and pull the app from the Start menu to the desktop. This will create a desktop shortcut for the app installed from Microsoft Store. The following video is an example of how to put an app on the desktop

Let me know if a problem.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

The "couldn't connect to scanner error" just started appearing for me as well. I think there is a problem on HPs end and they need to send out an update or correction. This is ridiculous!!! How can HP Smart not recognize my HP scanner when it has been fine for years.  Restarting, unplugging, all of that makes no difference.  Fix this please!

HP Recommended

I  have the same problem  with my NVidia GPUs.  Microsoft releases new drivers from NVidia but they are missing the CUDA library and all my apps on every system stop working on the next windows reboot.

Microsoft provided new drivers for your printer,  but the drivers are missing the scanner parts.

https://www.google.com/search?q=prevent+windows+from+updating+drivers

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.