Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
m1217
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

I am looking to upgrade my  m1217 on macOS 11 but seems the file (20201023 latest) on the website is not supported on Big sur ... is there any possibility to upgrade pls >? 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

+1

I have two m1217 in a network that are being used by both Windows and Mac computers. I also have multiple customers that are using the same device in Mac environment. Now that Macs have been upgraded to Big Sur, the HP’s old m1217 drivers no longer functions. This issue should have been identified and corrected long before Big Sur was launched, but clearly HP has not paid any attention to this - seems HP has no interest to keep their Mac customers happy.

So HP, are you going to deliver fresh and working drivers for Big Sur customers, or are you going to left us hanging? I really would like to know this, so that I can make a decision if I should purge my environment from every HP product that I have and never buy anything again that reads HP on its side. And I must inform all my customers also that HP has let them down, and they should never buy another HP product either.

HP Recommended

@geezar, @JanLFi, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand your concern. Yes, there is no printer driver available for this model on the HP Support site to work on macOS 11. However, this printer is Airprint compatible. Install the printer on the Mac using AirPrint drivers as shown in this document - Printing with Apple AirPrint (Mac)

Check for any software updates on Mac

Click the Apple icon > About This Mac > Software Update and install any available update.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, Kumar0307. It seems that you are not aware, that the Airprint is also non-functional with latest the macOS. Actually, this issue has been around for some time now, longer than the latest problem with Big Sur. Printer installation completes with Airprint drivers, but when doing an actual printing job, the job keeps running and never completing with the printer. The Airprint still functions with ipadOS and iOS, but I have not been able to get it work with multiple different Mac and with multiple different m1217 printers.

From what I was able to read between your lines, HP is not going to fix the missing driver issue either. In that case I have no other choice than to start purging my environment from every HP product, network, computers and servers included. Just to be safe, I will also stop buying any HP products for the next 10 years. Welcome Lenovo, Fujitsu, Cisco, Canon etc. I also will inform my customers to get rid of HP products as well, as HP clearly does not care about customers.

What a horrible customer experience with HP.

HP Recommended

@JanLFi

AirPrint does work on macOS 11. There are no known issues with it. Make sure your Mac is up to date with the software.

• Which application are you trying to print from?
  • Have you tried printing different types of documents like PDF, Word, or Webpages and check if the issue persists?

If AirPrint does not help, Gutenprint (formerly called Gimp-Print) provides open-source basic print drivers for many printers that would otherwise not be supported in Mac OS X. To see if your printer is supported, go to Gutenprint drivers for more information.

NOTE: Gutenprint drivers are not supported by HP or Apple.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hearing support suggesting 3rd party drivers for their own products is troublesome. That is not an acceptable solution.

I thank for the suggestion, but no thanks. I expect product manufacturer to support their products by providing drivers, that is what I have paid for when I have bought the product and have kept buying official supplies. Clearly it is the time to move on.

HP Recommended

@JanLFi

Let me escalate this issue to the concerned team.

Please look for a private message from me requesting additional information. Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.